Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Hops and Brett

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
chip82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Hops and Brett

I have had a few guys I work with say they can't stand hops and Brett together for an ipa, others love it. What do you guys think? Does the hop variety matter to you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
Chupidacabra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I'm working on one right now and it smells and tastes delicious so far. Will let you know on final product

Old 01-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
nofootbreak
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed a saison/pale ale with a culture of brett from crooked stave. I used Galaxy, Mosaic and Citra. Heavy on the Mosaic, light on the citra because I find it overpowering sometimes.

I thought it turned out great, surprisingly tart and lots of hop flavor that still comes through in the flavor and aroma after a few months in bottle.

I bottled it after 5 weeks in the fermenter, and havent had an issue with overcarbonation.

I took this beer into New Belgium and got huge compliments from one of their brewers.

79% Pilsner (2 Row) Bel Grain 15.000 lb
11% Weyermann - Vienna Malt Grain 2.000 lb
5% Acid Malt Grain 1.000 lb
5% Oats, Flaked Grain 13.504 oz
<1% Weyermann - Dehusked Carafa III Grain 2.000 oz

12 IBU Warrior 90 min
.25 oz Citra whirlpool at ~155 f for 40 min
2 oz Mosaic whirlpool at ~155 f for 40 min
.5 oz Galaxy whirlpool at ~155 f for 40 min

Dry Hopped with
1 oz Mosaic
.5 oz Galaxy
.25 oz Citra

The reason I didnt hop this more is that I was splitting the 10g batch into saison and 100% brett, but it really didnt need it. I dont like my saisons with a lot of american hop character, so I was looking for a lot of citrus and tropical fruit rather than piney, resin character.

If I were to brew this again, I wouldn't necessarily use the same base malts, but it worked out really well. I think you could get away with any american pale malt, but the pilsner and vienna make a nice combo.

The saison half was pretty good, but the brett half really kicks ass.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
jrfehon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I brewed a Sculpin clone last month and added Brett Brux Trois in the secondary and also in the bottle. I hope it turns our because my two favorite styles are IPAs and brett beers. I'm also aging a few sour pale ales that I'll dry hop when nice and tart.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
nofootbreak
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofootbreak View Post
I brewed a saison/pale ale with a culture of brett from crooked stave. I used Galaxy, Mosaic and Citra. Heavy on the Mosaic, light on the citra because I find it overpowering sometimes.

I thought it turned out great, surprisingly tart and lots of hop flavor that still comes through in the flavor and aroma after a few months in bottle.

I bottled it after 5 weeks in the fermenter, and havent had an issue with overcarbonation.

I took this beer into New Belgium and got huge compliments from one of their brewers.

79% Pilsner (2 Row) BelGrain15.000 lb
11% Weyermann - Vienna MaltGrain2.000 lb
5% Acid MaltGrain1.000 lb
5% Oats, FlakedGrain13.504 oz
<1% Weyermann - Dehusked Carafa IIIGrain2.000 oz

12 IBU Warrior 90 min
.25 oz Citra whirlpool at ~155 f for 40 min
2 oz Mosaic whirlpool at ~155 f for 40 min
.5 oz Galaxy whirlpool at ~155 f for 40 min

Dry Hopped with
1 oz Mosaic
.5 oz Galaxy
.25 oz Citra

The reason I didnt hop this more is that I was splitting the 10g batch into saison and 100% brett, but it really didnt need it. I dont like my saisons with a lot of american hop character, so I was looking for a lot of citrus and tropical fruit rather than piney, resin character.

If I were to brew this again, I wouldn't necessarily use the same base malts, but it worked out really well. I think you could get away with any american pale malt, but the pilsner and vienna make a nice combo.

The saison half was pretty good, but the brett half really kicks ass.
I should probably add that the brett probably did all of the work making this beer. I haven't had much luck with 100% brett beers with commercial strains.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
ahpsp
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You may have to be more specific in your comment. Brett seems to produce very different flavors if used as the primary or secondary yeast. Were they talking about all brett beers, or beers with brett added at secondary/at bottling?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
chip82
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

We are looking at doing a barrel, all Brett fermentation. Then dry hopping more after it is ready to go.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I did one with 100% Wyeast Brett B with Topaz and Willamette hops. It's good, but the yeast did 99% grapefruit esters and 1% funk. Next time I'll try it as a secondary addition.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip82 View Post
We are looking at doing a barrel, all Brett fermentation. Then dry hopping more after it is ready to go.
Brewing an all-brett IPA is comparable to brewing a regular IPA, but with a real big, multi-day starter and warmer ferm temps. There is a lot of good insight in the Brett Trois thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/wlp644-brett-b-trois-326861/

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison
dantheman13 Likes This 
Old 01-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #10
Chupidacabra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Themadfermentationist blog has a couple good 100% Brett IPA threads

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick Reply