The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
cyraxx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hops?

Just got my hands on some fresh hops, and I'd like to age some for a brett beer I'll be brewing in the Spring. Now since they are fresh, do I need to dry them before I age them? If so, will a food dehydrator work? I have a warm spot in my house where I'll put the brown paper bag with them in it, I'm just concerned with whether or not they need to be dried beforehand.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

yes you need to dry hops to store them, however you dont need to age hops before using in a brett or sour ale so long as you are pitching a culture of bugs

the only reason to use large quantities of aged hops is when you are doing a spontaneous fermentation, and the reason aged hops are used is that you can add a lot of them which provides protection against bad bacteria but doesnt add much in the way of bitterness

so when pitching a culture you dont need to worry about bad bugs so bittering with whatever hop you have on hand to your desired IBU level is good enough

Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
cyraxx
Recipes 

Say I wanted to just for the novelty of it...would storing them in a paper bag in a warm place be the way to go?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

sounds fine, although with that limited amount of time you may just get cheesy hops rather than a clean flavor, I have some hops that Ive aged in my garage for ~2.5yrs that were very very cheesy for at least 1yr, and they still have a subtle hint of it

Quick Reply