Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Hoppy Berliner?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Hoppy Berliner?

I understand that Berliners typically have few if any hops, since IBUs are bad for lacto. But it seems like the fruitiness of late hops would mesh well with the sourness of a Berliner. My plan is to brew a hopless berliner, sour it, pasteurize to kill the lacto and do a hopstand at the end of the pasteurization, then ferment out with yeast. I'll probably dry-hop.

Has anyone done something similar? Is there any reason it won't work? Any advice on what yeast and hops to use?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
inflictor-of-grimness
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Personally, I would use a clean yeast (US-05 is my go to) and any fruity hops.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Rob_B
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've done a no boil Berliner Weisse and dry hopped a gallon with Sorachi Ace. It turned out well. Had a lemonade thing going on. I think any citrusy hops would play well with the tartness in the BW.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. I figured fruity hops was the way to go, just undecided about classic American citrus or something tropical. I have some Nelson and Topaz stashed away, along with large quantities of Cascade and Summit. I suppose hoppy and sour is complicated enough that I wouldn't need (or notice) anything special from the yeast, but part of me wants to use either saison yeast or a fruit-bomb.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Galaxy could be awesome for this experiment, also!

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 07-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I haven't done it yet, but I plan on doing the same thing next month. From what you listed, I think cascade & nelson would work great. I'm going with nelson & citra and fermented with brett brux trois.

I recently did a sour with late & DH'd nelson that turned out great if that helps

Old 07-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I've been mulling the idea of a Nelson dry-hopped Berliner. I'd be interested to see how this turns out for you.

Primary: Nelson Sauvin Saison
Secondary/Aging: ECY01 Sour
In bottles: Mango sour, Lambic, Brett tripel, Sour brown, Brett L/B Porter
Kegged: Hefeweizen

Old 07-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #8
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
I haven't done it yet, but I plan on doing the same thing next month. From what you listed, I think cascade & nelson would work great. I'm going with nelson & citra and fermented with brett brux trois.

I recently did a sour with late & DH'd nelson that turned out great if that helps
I have no trois. Maybe i should get some. What do you think of using Conan or 71-B?

Old 07-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #9
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I recently had some very good results with a sour mashed Berliner that brought a silver and a score of 38 in BJCP comp. I sour mashed for three days, boiled with no hops, and fermented with WLP-400 since I had some on hand and this was just an experimental batch. I thought about pitching a Lacto strain which is why I choose to do no hops in the boil but did not get any on hand before I brewed. The beer was actually a touch lifeless when it was done and kegged up. It got very tart and was nice and dry but it just did not thrill me. At the same time I was tasting and trying to decide why I was not enjoying the Berliner I was dry hopping and American IPA with Citra and Centennial.

I decided to throw some of the centennial and citra in the keg of Berliner. I left it in there for about three or four days. Man did it wake the beer up. It really changed the entire profile of the beer. There was of course a bit of citrus and a touch of grassy aroma in the nose. The flavor came around the most with a nice bit of tropical fruit and citrus fruit notes. The fruitiness really seems to be enhanced with the tartness of the beer.

Although it was just an experiment I am pretty sold on dry hopping my Berliner beers from now on. Next round is a true Lacto fermented batch with no hops in the boil and dry hopped with something interesting. I may even split it and do half with a the conan yeast and half with brett strain.

Will ride for beer!

joshrosborne Likes This 
Old 07-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
WilliamWS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A little off topic but just curious: did you enter it as a specialty beer?

I just ask because, as a BJCP judge, I can't imagine giving a beer entered as a straight Berliner that's fermented with wit yeast and dry-hopped a 38. Not to say it's not a very tasty beer, just not to style.
I judged a comp in Feb where one of the Berliner entries I scored was obviously dry-hopped with C hops (or something similar). It was definitely tasty, would have been super refreshing on a summer day, but I would have scored it better as a specialty beer.

Quick Reply