Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Help with recipe for brett pale ale or brett saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
fivepoundpossum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

if you want a heavy brett influence (more funk than fruit), use a saccharomyces saison strain first for the primary fermentation and then add brett brux. from what i understand, the funkiness comes from the precursor chemicals created by the sacc fermentation. in my experience, it's nice and fruity after 3 months and gets funkier around 6.

in terms of grist, i'd go with bootsyfanootsy. nice and simple. maybe with some flaked wheat or oats for the beta-glucans (which give it body).

some dregs from a jolly pumpkin, bruery, or allagash sour would be nice too. the brett that's in jolly pumpkin beers is fantastic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 636 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTgill View Post
I can raise my temps up to 85 F or so but not much higher. Will this work for the saison yeast for primary?
with 565 (Dupont strain), you need heat + patience... or a secondary strain. 85*F should do the trick as long as you give it time. someone recently told me that Dupont needs more O2 than most yeasts, so oxygenate it a lot. hit it with O2/air pump a second time a few hours after the initial oxygenation. expect it to stall out, lay dormant for a week or two, then eventually kick back up.

or, use a second yeast pitched at high krausen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTgill View Post
I definitely want so good funk so it will get Brett B. If it does stall out at say 1.030 will the brett still give some funk or will it be too clean.
brett makes the funk by transforming the by-products of sacc (read this). so you'll get maximum funk by getting as much sacc action as you can, then adding the brett. that being said, Dupont kicks out a ton of stuff to chew on, so using brett as the only secondary strain will also work. only thing that makes me nervous about doing that is that your 1.030 wort still has a lot of sugar in there and brett is a slow starter... there is always a slight chance that some airborne infection sneaks in there as you're adding the brett (or any other occasion you have the carboy open).

i've never used brett C so i can't help you there.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
TNTgill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Thanks for the help sweetcell. I am heating the strike water now. Going to follow your recommendation on the recipe.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #14
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlehands View Post
Sorry about that, it is a 5 gallon batch. Inspired by the C+C Brett Factory recipe from the Embrace the Funk website. I added the Brett B because I thought it would give a little stronger Brett character.

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
1 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
0.5 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 15 min
0.5 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 10 min
0.2 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 5 min
0.2 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 1 min
0.5 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 0 min
1 pkgs Brettanomyces Claussenii (White Labs #WLP645)
1 pkgs Brettanomyces Bruxellensis (White Labs #WLP650)
I'm curious about this one. How did the B/C blend turn out?

Old 06-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
Idlehands
Recipes 

It worked out pretty well. I pitched one vial of each with no starter. I fermented it in the 80° range and finished in 3 to 5 days. It had a really unique flavor and aroma. Not the typical brett funk that I've come to expect.

Quick Reply