The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Help formulating an all Brett C. session beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 04:51 AM   #31
wetherel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've used wl Brett C 3-4 times (Always with lacto, sometimes with a lacto head start, sometimes not). I get an initial vomit aroma, which transforms into mega pineapple, but then slowly fades away. Maybe it fades away because I let it sit too long (months, when 3 weeks or less is probably more appropriate). It could also be that my room temp fermentation encourages the volatile aromas to dissipate. What temps are you using? Maybe I should start at room, wait for the pineapple explosion, the continue at 60 for a week or two until the gravity stabilizes, then bottle. I've read something about simple sugars encouraging acidity...I wonder if it encourages aroma development as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 05:09 AM   #32
saq
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
Chad Yakobson did some work for a MS on Brett, although he said that the WL brett C was actually 2 strains of brett not brett _+ lacto

http://brettanomyces.wordpress.com/
Thats who told me it was brett C + lacto + pichia.
He sent me one of his brett strains that didn't make it into the trials, he isolated it from a oude beersel bottle. I brewed The Bard with it and its been sitting in a keg for a while, its got this funky blue cheese and overripe fruit note I don't know how I feel about. I'm due to check it again soon, haven't touched it in 5+ months. If its still where it left off I'm blending some tart cherry concentrate and about a 1/4 pound of D1 candi syrup in.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #33
scone
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetherel View Post
I've used wl Brett C 3-4 times (Always with lacto, sometimes with a lacto head start, sometimes not). I get an initial vomit aroma, which transforms into mega pineapple, but then slowly fades away. Maybe it fades away because I let it sit too long (months, when 3 weeks or less is probably more appropriate). It could also be that my room temp fermentation encourages the volatile aromas to dissipate. What temps are you using? Maybe I should start at room, wait for the pineapple explosion, the continue at 60 for a week or two until the gravity stabilizes, then bottle. I've read something about simple sugars encouraging acidity...I wonder if it encourages aroma development as well.
I've only brewed an all-brett c. beer once, and I would hardly say it's a pineapple bomb or anything like that, but the pineapple is definitely there. I fermented it very hot (around 80F) actually, it was winter and I had a heat lamp on it that I got a little carried away with. I read somewhere that brett. c likes it hot, though I can't recall the source right now. It fermented out quite fast, and I bottled 3-4 weeks later. As far as acidity, I did have 1/2 lb. of acid malt in the brew, I'm not sure how much that would change the overall acidity of 5 gallons of beer... but it's possible that had something to do with the pineapple as well??

Quick Reply