Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Help formulating an all Brett C. session beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #21
scone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Sixbillionethans- I've had similar results in my first all Brett batch. I measured 1.018ish at 6 days after all signs of bubbles in the airlock had stopped. I didn't touch it again for 4 more weeks, and the SG was 1.010. It didn't take 8 weeks or anything like that though... I figured 1.010 was terminal gravity so I went ahead and bottled. It tasted pretty good, no strong pineapple or anything so if the flavor is there it's hard to taste. It's a tad bitter which I think is mostly due to my miscalculating the IBUs when I made the recipe up.

Fermentation took 3 days to show signs in the airlock and that was after I raised the temperature of the fermenter to ~80F. It got all the way up to 84 before I caught it and turned the heat lamp off. After 6 days I left it alone and it sat around 65-68 for the rest of the 4 weeks.

No pellicle in mine when I bottled. Also I should add that although I didn't aerate I did add two gallons of bottled spring water (which probably has some dissolved o2) and I also just dumped the wort in the fermenter so that probably aerated a bit as well. I did a simple 2L starter which I left for 3 days under a heat lamp. If I had to guess, I'd say I ended up "slightly-stressing" the yeasties. :-)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #22
scone
Recipes 

I figured I'd do a final update on the results. The characteristic pineapple flavor has definitely shown up, although it's not unpleasant and I rather like it. It's not really a pineapple flavor, but a unique flavor that *reminds* me of pineapples. It was probably there all along I just didn't catch it pre-carbonation because I was looking for a fruitier tangy flavor.

The beer is very light in color, pale like a white ale, refreshing, and a bit too bitter. I think I will definitely make this again, but with less hops and more honey malt.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #23
scone
Recipes 

I thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead since I'm trying this again, but with way less hops, no flavor or aroma additions, and with the recipe slightly modified. Here's the new variation, I'll post again when I've bottled and tasted it.

Grain bill
8 oz. honey malt
8 oz. acid malt (for the Brett to enjoy)
1 lb. torrified wheat (no head on the last batch)
2 lb. malted rye
2 lb. american 2-row
3 lbs. LME

Hops
I cut back a lot. Had a 1oz. package of 4.5% AA Willamette, and that's all I used.

Yeast
I'm lazy so I didn't save any of the yeast from the last batch. I'm also cheap, so I didn't want to buy more thus I grew a starter from the dregs of one of my bottles of the first 100% brett c. batch.

Poured one bottle's worth of yeast into 200 ml starter with 21 g. LME. One day later, added 3 liters of 1.040 wort to starter. When krausen dropped, I refrigerated for a day and decanted.

I did a 90 minute partial boil of 4 gallons (without the LME mind you) to get better utilization, should end up with about 16 IBUs. Added the LME at 90 minutes, and boiled for 10 more to pasteurize the LME.

I pitched the yeast cold (straight of the fridge) into 70F wort, having read some interesting stuff about pitching cold. Seems to work fine, I had airlock activity within 4 hours. Very active fermentation after 12 hours at 78F. Also, I aerated the wort by stirring like mad for a minute or so.

I'm no longer sure what style of beer this falls under. It's hardly a pale ale with such a low IBU, no flavor, or aroma hops. Is it a bitter? Or a mild? What do you guys think?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #24
saq
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts

Its a 23a Wild Ale
FYI White Labs Brett C vials contain lactobacillus. Not really a published bit of information but I got it from someone doing some scientific work on brettanomyces fermentation. It explains why my Minstrel wild ale got noticably tart.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:15 AM   #25
wetherel
Recipes 

I'm thinking pineapple aroma(for Brett c) and cherry pie aroma (for wy Brett l) are created in the presense of oxygen, such as in a starter or in a barrel or initial fermentation. In a carboy with active fermentation, these great aromas seem to get scrubbed out. It's probably a bad idea, but I'm wondering if you could make a starter of Brett and add it to your bottling bucket to add some nice fruity aroma.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #26
saq
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetherel View Post
I'm thinking pineapple aroma(for Brett c) and cherry pie aroma (for wy Brett l) are created in the presense of oxygen, such as in a starter or in a barrel or initial fermentation. In a carboy with active fermentation, these great aromas seem to get scrubbed out. It's probably a bad idea, but I'm wondering if you could make a starter of Brett and add it to your bottling bucket to add some nice fruity aroma.
I'm pretty sure thats not the case. My "The Muse" Wild Blonde has TONS of pineapple/passion fruit/pie cherry aroma and flavor and was treated just like a normal beer in a BB carboy with an airlock.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #27
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
FYI White Labs Brett C vials contain lactobacillus. Not really a published bit of information but I got it from someone doing some scientific work on brettanomyces fermentation. It explains why my Minstrel wild ale got noticably tart.
get outta town!! can you or anyone else back that up with documentation?

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 06-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #28
saq
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessup View Post
get outta town!! can you or anyone else back that up with documentation?
Its not documented or advertised, but the person who told me that IS doing a masters degree in fermentation sciences focusing on wild yeast. Plating out everything he has and doing colony isolation and studying he would discover this pretty easily while making sure his samples are bacteria free.
We were talking about the WLP Brett C and he told me its blended with a small amount of lacto and pichia. I checked some of his web posted results and did not see him reference it anywhere.
Email Chris White and see, it may no be something they do anymore.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #29
scone
Recipes 

I remember reading the same thing saq. I believe we are talking about the same guy but now I can't find that information either. :/ It's a conspiracy!

In regards to oxygen... I think that the presence of oxygen in regards to eventual pineapple aroma and flavor has been suggested, but no one has done a "serious" controlled test to see if this is the case. The guys on the BB board at least seem to think it's a bit more complicated than just that. My first all Brett. C beer turned out with very present pineapple notes, and I decanted the starter, so all that flavor evolved during fermentation. I aerated the wort a bit, but did not oxygenate it.

EDIT:
I think I just realized what you are saying wetherel. I think the pineapple thing is more an effect of an all-Brett. C fermentation. I think when Brett it is used in addition to Saccharomyces there is little to no pineapple, and more 'funk'. If you've got another yeast already going in your beer, adding Brett. C probably won't result in a lot of pineapple flavors. And from what I've noticed, Brett. C by itself resulted in a cleaner tasting beer with a lot less of the characteristic funk of secondary Brett. fermentations.

Last edited by scone; 06-10-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #30
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
Its a 23a Wild Ale
Chad Yakobson did some work for a MS on Brett, although he said that the WL brett C was actually 2 strains of brett not brett _+ lacto

http://brettanomyces.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply