New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > HELP! Any way to stop a beer from further souring?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
ryane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMarky View Post
Brewer's and winemaker's yeast are for the most part resistant to sulfites, bacteria definitely are not and I believe wild yeast are also not resistant. Although sulfites also help with oxidation, a lot of winemakers use sulfites almost exclusively as their equipment sanitizer as well.

I use secondary additions of simple sugars whenever I have a higher than normal gravity beer and want it to dry out. If I were you, I wouldn't be concerned. But if you are, then sulfite it.
Brewers and wine yeasts are NOT tolerant of sulfites, thats why you must wait 24hrs before pitching yeast to a must that youve added campden, if you do not it will knock them down, some will always survive but not too much, it will kill bacteria though

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #12
JoMarky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
Brewers and wine yeasts are NOT tolerant of sulfites, thats why you must wait 24hrs before pitching yeast to a must that youve added campden, if you do not it will knock them down, some will always survive but not too much, it will kill bacteria though
Interesting..I admit I've only read one book on home wine-making, but the author lists many of the common yeasts used and rates their tolerance of sulfites from high to low (Most according to him are quite tolerant). He also states a fermentation slow to start is rarely the cause of sulfites if the appropriate concentration was used in the must.

The tolerance of brewers yeast may be completely different though, as it would seem sulfites would naturally play into the wine yeast "selection" process.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Give it a shot, buy a gal of apple juice and add some campden tabs to it, add yeast to a half gallon immediately, for the rest let it sit overnight, then add yeast, see how things progress

it should effect the yeast considerably when added immediately, but when allowed to off gas it wont have an effect

its only 10$ and it could be an interesting experience

Quick Reply