Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > HDPE solera

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #21
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I'm not really sure whether it would help or hurt. On one hand, leaving the beer in the barrel for a long time provides plenty of alcohol for acetobacter to turn into vinegar but the exposure might be minimal enough that acetic acid production would be very slow between the wood staves and the pellicle. On the other hand, the frequent racking could bring more oxygen into the remaining beer and accelerate acetic acid production but the frequent new fermentations could produce more CO2 to slow down acetic acid production. I'm not really sure which is more likely to occur.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #22
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Thread revival. This is the 100 gallon tank I am considering for a 20 year Solera (10 gallon per year removal).

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1951_200331951

Old 10-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #23
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Any particular reason you want a horizontal tank? For that price I think you can get a fully draining inductor tank and stand that will be easier to drain, remove trub without draining, and/or clean.

Primary/Secondary/Bottles/Kegged: Delicious, delicious beer

Old 10-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #24
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

I have a 37 gallon inductor tank for primary fermentation of my house lager. Will need to look into the larger ones. If I am going to do a Lambic Solera I want something of substantial volume. I looked into used whiskey barrels and for $190 plus $160 in shipping I'd rather have a Poly tank - no leak worries.

Thanks, blizzard!

Old 10-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #25
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

This one comes to mind...

http://www.dudadiesel.com/special_or...ct110&submit=1

But I settled on this one - better price with plenty of capacity.

http://www.agrimart.net/60-gallon-fu...nk-ibfd60-set/

It is the Big Brother of the one I already have.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #26
BryanThompson
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Another off topic post but how is everyone making these tanks air tight? My uncle sells all kinds of plastic tanks and we can not figure out a way that people are making the lids air tight.

Brute Brew Works
Primary: Epic Flemish Brown(15g) waiting to go into a bourbon barrel, Brett C. Blackberry Berliner, lambic waiting for fruit
Secondary: Sour Brown Ale from Black IPA second runnings sitting on 2.5lbs. blackberries and 2.5lbs mulberries
Bottled: Traditional Mead aged on Maker's 46 soaked oak, Brett Maibock

Old 10-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #27
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Someone please jump in if I am wrong but my understanding of a Lambic Solera is that you do not want it air tight (to simulate a barrel). Tight enough that there is minimal air exchange but not airtight like a "regular" beer.

Sour Fermentations In Progress:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps05852f14.jpg

Old 10-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #28
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredTheNuke View Post
Someone please jump in if I am wrong but my understanding of a Lambic Solera is that you do not want it air tight (to simulate a barrel). Tight enough that there is minimal air exchange but not airtight like a "regular" beer.
Fred, a couple thoughts:

Large wooden barrels (60 gallons+) are a lot less permeable than you'd think (image from Wild Brews below). I would think you'd want a plastic vessel to be as air tight as possible, you'll get the requisite amount of O2 just from opening the bung/lid for sampling & top-off.

Having said that, even if you could get the lid sealed well, most of the MDPE conical build threads suggest transferring after a month. I'd be really wary of using a medium density vessel for long term aging, especially if your goal is a 10 year solera. Sounds like a recipe for vinegar. I know you sourced spirit barrels, but do you have any local vineyards? Many of them will sell off decommissioned wine barrels for about $100.

EDIT: check that, just saw that you bought the agrimart tank (HDPE) instead of the DudaDiesel (MDPE). Though, 10 years still sounds like a long time in a plastic vessel.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Reason: skimmed, my bad

Old 10-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #29
BryanThompson
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My uncle has been selling a lot of these lately for brewing. I'm thinking about picking up a couple to be his guinea pig. They are HDPE and are ok for potable water storage. I just can't figure out what to do with the lid.
15 gallon inductor

Brute Brew Works
Primary: Epic Flemish Brown(15g) waiting to go into a bourbon barrel, Brett C. Blackberry Berliner, lambic waiting for fruit
Secondary: Sour Brown Ale from Black IPA second runnings sitting on 2.5lbs. blackberries and 2.5lbs mulberries
Bottled: Traditional Mead aged on Maker's 46 soaked oak, Brett Maibock

Old 10-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #30
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Here is a link to some really good Beer Solera reading including detailed results periodically since 2010.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com...er-barrel.html

Along the lines of my plans. They had a great deal of concern about autolysis from not draining the barrels - this is fixed by using an HDPE conical and being able to remove the trub once a year. I do intend to leave a few inches of head space which will become CO2 from the primary fermentation taking place in the 60 gallon conical each year. If the sample shows too much sour I will primary it in buckets for 2-3 weeks and then rack in and CO2 blanket with my BeerGun.

I will have to seal the conical's lid. I will use silicone O-rings and will look into a food safe type of caulk (such as aquarium sealant - it cannot leach chemicals or the sensitive saltwater fish would die).

Quick Reply