New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Great paper on American spontaneous fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
TimT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Great paper on American spontaneous fermentation

Great paper on American spontaneous fermentation. If I had to guess I would say the experiment was done at Jolly Pumpkin.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0035507

Brewhouse-Resident Microbiota Are Responsible for Multi-Stage Fermentation of American Coolship Ale

American coolship ale (ACA) is a type of spontaneously fermented beer that employs production methods similar to traditional Belgian lambic. In spite of its growing popularity in the American craft-brewing sector, the fermentation microbiology of ACA has not been previously described, and thus the interface between production methodology and microbial community structure is unexplored. Using terminal restriction fragment length polymorphism (TRFLP), barcoded amplicon sequencing (BAS), quantitative PCR (qPCR) and culture-dependent analysis, ACA fermentations were shown to follow a consistent fermentation progression, initially dominated by Enterobacteriaceae and a range of oxidative yeasts in the first month, then ceding to Saccharomyces spp. and Lactobacillales for the following year. After one year of fermentation, Brettanomyces bruxellensis was the dominant yeast population (occasionally accompanied by minor populations of Candida spp., Pichia spp., and other yeasts) and Lactobacillales remained dominant, though various aerobic bacteria became more prevalent. This work demonstrates that ACA exhibits a conserved core microbial succession in absence of inoculation, supporting the role of a resident brewhouse microbiota. These findings establish this core microbial profile of spontaneous beer fermentations as a target for production control points and quality standards for these beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 125

This looks fantastic after reading the abstract. This is the kinda stuff I love to reed! Thanks for the link. I'll post up some thoughts when I'm done with the thing.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
If I had to guess I would say the experiment was done at Jolly Pumpkin.
I believe all JP beers are clean fermented with WLP550 before inocculation in barrels. Most of their beers don't spend much time in the barrels; as little as a week, and up to a few months depending on the beer. I think all their beers are in the bottle in less than a year, and some at only a couple of months.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

I agree, JP is probably not the source of research. Allagash has a coolship and spontaneously ferments some beers. I believe a few others have built one as well.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
TimT
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Actually Jolly pumpkin has a spontaneously fermented beer Lambicus Dexterius.
http://beerpulse.com/2009/12/jolly-pumpkin-lambicus-dexterius-five-year-old-project-finally-sees-daylight/

Old 10-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
ashmgee
Recipes 

Wow cool paper! Brett as a climax species in micro biology succession.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:51 AM   #7
gamb0056
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 for Allagash. In the results section it states the the brewery is in the Northeastern US.

Quick Reply