HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Gravity Reading 1.002, Time to Rack or Bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
srob18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Gravity Reading 1.002, Time to Rack or Bottle?

I've got my first Berliner going and it's been in the primary almost 3 months. I added some Raspberrys to it and it still has a nice Bubbly Pellicle on it. I took a gravity reading today and noticed it is at 1.002. I think it's pretty damn close to being done. The beer tastes great, just like a raspberry sour beer (although I still think it's not too sour).

So my main question, is there any point to transferring to a secondary or should I just bottle and wait to see if some conditioning might make it more sour or at least give a little more sour character to the beer.

Any input would help, I wouldn't be opposed to transfering to a secondary and throwing in more bugs to try to sour it more, but I'm not sure with my gravity being 1.002 if it could go down much more.

Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by srob18 View Post
I've got my first Berliner going and it's been in the primary almost 3 months. I added some Raspberrys to it and it still has a nice Bubbly Pellicle on it. I took a gravity reading today and noticed it is at 1.002. I think it's pretty damn close to being done. The beer tastes great, just like a raspberry sour beer (although I still think it's not too sour).

So my main question, is there any point to transferring to a secondary or should I just bottle and wait to see if some conditioning might make it more sour or at least give a little more sour character to the beer.

Any input would help, I wouldn't be opposed to transfering to a secondary and throwing in more bugs to try to sour it more, but I'm not sure with my gravity being 1.002 if it could go down much more.

Thanks for the help!
I can't think of a reason to rack, bottle and get to enjoying it!

If it hasn't soured yet, it likely won't. What microbes did you pitch? Adding more microbes now won't do much because there isn't enough sugar to convert into lactic acid.

Next time choose a more aggressive Lactobacillus (like L. brevis) and/or build it up before pitching.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 03-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
srob18
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
I can't think of a reason to rack, bottle and get to enjoying it!

If it hasn't soured yet, it likely won't. What microbes did you pitch? Adding more microbes now won't do much because there isn't enough sugar to convert into lactic acid.

Next time choose a more aggressive Lactobacillus (like L. brevis) and/or build it up before pitching.
I used wild lacto(I Think? What ever it was it made a rad Pellicle) off of 2row I pitched directly with my US-05 for fermentation. It seems to be souring as it ages which has me hesitant to bottle, but I don't want to risk autolysis or wait any longer then I have to if I can bottle.

I think next time I might try the same method with L Brevis and The 2row

Old 03-26-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
I used wild lacto(I Think? What ever it was it made a rad Pellicle) off of 2row I pitched directly with my US-05 for fermentation. It seems to be souring as it ages which has me hesitant to bottle, but I don't want to risk autolysis or wait any longer then I have to if I can bottle.

Lacto usually doesn't produce much of a pellicle.

There is nothing about bottling that stops Lactobacillus souring.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 03-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 819 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Quote:

I used a similar method for my gose. It was not very sour at bottling (after 2 months or so), but became much more sour in the bottle over time.

I picked up some L. Brevis recently and will use that the next batch to compare.

I saved some of the grain Lacto culture from the starter in case I want to combine the two or go back to using it later.
Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Anniversary Barleywine, High Ground Gose, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Sour Blackberry Cider, Dos Caldera Porter (plain & whiskey versions), Evolution of Funk (Vol's 1+2), Unseasonably Pale, Higher Ground Gose
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison solera), BRB Melomel, Riviere Rouge Flanders Red, Wild Cider, Frankencyser, Snow Melt Single

Old 03-26-2015, 11:08 PM   #6
srob18
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBC View Post

I used a similar method for my gose. It was not very sour at bottling (after 2 months or so), but became much more sour in the bottle over time.
Nice! That gives me hope that it might sour up with time as i bottle! I feel like it has definitely soured over these 2 months but it isn't the lip puckering sourness that i've heard is usually associated with the style.

Just curious, How long did you leave it in the bottles before you tried them and found a good sour level?

Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM   #7
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 819 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Tried too many along the way, but soured up after 2-3 months if I remember correctly

Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Anniversary Barleywine, High Ground Gose, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Sour Blackberry Cider, Dos Caldera Porter (plain & whiskey versions), Evolution of Funk (Vol's 1+2), Unseasonably Pale, Higher Ground Gose
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison solera), BRB Melomel, Riviere Rouge Flanders Red, Wild Cider, Frankencyser, Snow Melt Single

Quick Reply