Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Goose Island Sofie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
jmich24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Goose Island Sofie

I am looking to brew a GI Sofie Clone. I had it again last night and remembered why I have a bunch cellered. Amazing.

Here is a link to GI website: http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/sofie/28.php

I am guessing:

10 pounds Belgian Pils
2 pounds White wheat
1 oz Amarillo 60 min
Mash at 154 to leave some dextrins?

Pitch Wyeast 3711 for primary? (Super high attenuation)
Rack to secondary with Brett B or Sofie dregs? 1 oz Bitter Orange Peal ? and 1 oz French Oak Soaked in Oaked White Wine? Maybe Some Maltodextrin for some munchies?

Age for 4 months or until FG steady?

Anyone ever try to brew this? Suggestions to my current recipe?

Thanks!

Last edited by jmich24; 04-01-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
mlg5039
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Why use a super attenuating primary yeast, but use maltodextrin to keep infermentable sugars for the bugs?

As you know, your high mash will leave some more complex sugars to be fermented. I recommend a less attenuative yeast or pitching the bugs along with the yeast from the beginning.

It is not certain that everything is uncertain.

Primary:BCS Clone
Secondary:Oud bruin (2), Raspberry melomel
Bottled: Oktoberfest, Imperial Punkin
Kegged: Wild Ale, Dark Mild
Gallons to date 2012: 47

Old 04-01-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
jmich24
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlg5039 View Post
Why use a super attenuating primary yeast, but use maltodextrin to keep infermentable sugars for the bugs?

As you know, your high mash will leave some more complex sugars to be fermented. I recommend a less attenuative yeast or pitching the bugs along with the yeast from the beginning.
The issue is that all Saison Yeasts are highly attenuative. Pitching at the brett at the same time makes since though.

Any one else?

Old 04-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmich24 View Post
The issue is that all Saison Yeasts are highly attenuative. Pitching at the brett at the same time makes since though.

Any one else?
Mash high and most yeasts will leave a decent amount of sugars. 3711 is probably the most attenuating sacc yeast you can get.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
jmich24
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
Mash high and most yeasts will leave a decent amount of sugars. 3711 is probably the most attenuating sacc yeast you can get.
Should I consider the Belgian Saison vs. the French?

Any other specifics about my recipe in relation to Goose Island Sofie. I find it hard to believe no one has tried to clone this. Succesfully or not.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmich24 View Post
Should I consider the Belgian Saison vs. the French?

Any other specifics about my recipe in relation to Goose Island Sofie. I find it hard to believe no one has tried to clone this. Succesfully or not.
WPL565 would be a better choice. 3711 is just a beast; not my favorite, but does a pretty good job of drying out a beer.

I've not tried Sofie. Too many other beers out there with more history. I'll get around to it someday.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
prochlea
Recipes 

I've got one going with 3724, and I added Brett B at about seven days. At 22 days I racked to secondary and added oak spirals and fresh orange peel. I wanted it to have a little higher abv than the original, so I used more grain. The OG was 1.083, and in the first 22 days it went down to about 1.020. The activity picked back up after moving to the secondary. I'll probably check it in a few weeks and see where it is. Tasting at 22 days was pretty good. A little bigger mouthfeel than I was hoping for, but at 1.020 that isn't surprising. I'm hoping that it will go down to at least 1.005. I think I probably would mash a little lower so that it dries out pretty well.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
jmich24
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prochlea View Post
I've got one going with 3724, and I added Brett B at about seven days. At 22 days I racked to secondary and added oak spirals and fresh orange peel. I wanted it to have a little higher abv than the original, so I used more grain. The OG was 1.083, and in the first 22 days it went down to about 1.020. The activity picked back up after moving to the secondary. I'll probably check it in a few weeks and see where it is. Tasting at 22 days was pretty good. A little bigger mouthfeel than I was hoping for, but at 1.020 that isn't surprising. I'm hoping that it will go down to at least 1.005. I think I probably would mash a little lower so that it dries out pretty well.
Care to share share your final recipe?

Thanks

Old 04-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
prochlea
Recipes 

You could adjust the grain bill a bit to get a little less abv of you want. I can't remember what I mashed at, and I don't have my notes with me, but if/when I do this one again, I'll probably mash at 145 to get it to dry out a bit more.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1182686/belgian-specialty-ale-recipes/sofie-clone

Old 04-03-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
jmich24
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prochlea View Post
You could adjust the grain bill a bit to get a little less abv of you want. I can't remember what I mashed at, and I don't have my notes with me, but if/when I do this one again, I'll probably mash at 145 to get it to dry out a bit more.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1182686/belgian-specialty-ale-recipes/sofie-clone
How did you like the overal beer besides the high final gravity(assuming the brett will knock that down given the time)? Spicifically, the oak and bitter orange? I am assuming you used 1oz of orange peel? How do you think the flameout Amarillo addition will last assuming you are letting the brett work for a few months? I have thought about moving the flameout addition to a dryhop. Also how long do you plan to let this one sit befor bottling/kegging?

I just ordered my yeast, probably brew it this weekend. I will post my results as well. Good luck with yours. Thanks for the additional information.

Quick Reply