Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > fusel from brett?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #21
beerandloathinginaustin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

I'd give the Brett a chance to clean things up. I've watched it eat enormous fruity dry hop aromas off of some of my saisons, so I think it can eat & clean up anything. If anything, I'd pitch more Brett in there!

www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #22
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 22

i have some early results in from a partially successful experiment... i made the same saison recipe that previously turned out tasting like paint thinner from high temp saison+brett brux ferment. these are all small batches btw so failures are not tragic. i split it in two and pitched 1. just dupont yeast, and 2. dupont + WLP 650 644 653 bretts (brux, lamb, trois). instead of starting at room temp and ramping up from there as my previous one, i started cool (18-19) with lots of oxygen, and let them free rise, as small batches they didn't really get above 20-21. the dupont-only i then kept at 26-28, but i was too late to get the temp up and the crapping yeast quit the game, threw its toys out of the crib and sulked off to the bottom of the jug leaving me with 1.030, but hey- no fusels! dumped it. meanwhile the other one went to 1.006 (from 1.064), and the sip i snuck while racking to dry hop containers was very promising, no hint of solvent, but it was still quite yeasty. now i have it split for 3 different dry hops, but that's a different story. my early conclusion: keep the temps low with dupont/brett mixes, don't worry about the dupont yeast stalling out (or use french saison), the brett will finish things off. still not sure if i'll get that spicy lemony saison yeast character in this, but i'll report back with that too once these are cleared and carbed up.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #23
krumb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Dumping our's this week. Brewed in March, still a fuselly mess.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #24
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 22

conclusion from the above, despite lacking the proper control of saison-only. the beers all came out with moderate saison character that you'd expect from dupont strain. i served them to a tasting panel comprising beer nerds, bartenders at a beer bar, and non-beer enthusiasts. they were a few dry hop variants of the same beer. everyone picked up a fresh lemony tartness that you would want in a saison, but no hint of the spicy pepper notes, and everyone liked the dry finish. in fact most thought it was too dry, and lacking a bit of body. the brett really chewed through everything, even with a bit of flaked oat in the recipe. no obvious funk, but the interesting fermentation character was thought to sit well with the hop, most notably in an all-chinook dry hop (to go with a bit of late kettle hersbrucker). saaz dry hop was almost unnoticeable, simcoe+amarillo was fruity and some described this beer as like a sports drink, fruity and chuggable!
I think there's a fine line between fusel bomb and achieving a true saison fermentation character here, and i'm still trying to find it. on to the next round of experiments! to add a bit of body and get that peppery spice.

Quick Reply