Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > fusel from brett?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

i got huge fusels once from pitching dupont yeast and WLP brett brux together at primary in a 1.066 saison. started warm (23c) and it free-rose up to 32c! i put some before a tasting panel at a beer bar and we all got solvent, rubbing alcohol flavors and very hot alcohol feeling in the chest. i have no idea who the culprit was, or if it was some interaction between the two strains causing fusels. i'm about to try a similar brew, split into batches with dupont + a couple brett strains, vs only dupont, and going to start it out cooler, will report back if there's anything interesting!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
reed1911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

hmm...at least I'm not the only one. Let us know if it duplicates again. I'll shy away from the mix of the two for now. praying the fusel cleans up in time.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
krumb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Did a 1.065 saison with our house blend of 3711/Brux. Temps got a little too high (80's). Fusel bomb.

First batch we've made where fusels were a problem. Letting it sit to see if it will age out.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
reed1911
Recipes 

How long have you been aging at this point? Have you seen any improvement up to now?

Old 09-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
dinnerstick
Recipes 

i brewed my 'headache saison' in june and tried one again this week. it has not improved.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
reed1911
Recipes 

mmmm...well looks like this batch will go down the drain then. I was hoping at worst I could use it for blending, but the taste is like dropping an oz of rubbing alcohol into a 12oz glass of blond. The after taste is a wonderful apple-pineapple-passion fruit but the initial knock down fusels just make it terrible.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
reed1911
Recipes 

well crap....I decided to dump it today, pulled the top and called my wife over to see and touch the pellicle before I ****canned it. Thought, I'll take a quick sample and see if any changes have occurred. Sure as heck, it is beginning to develop a nice tart backdrop and the rubbing alcohol taste is diminished but still very present. The smell is still strong fusel, but the lid is back on and in the back it goes for a few months. Had to get a new primary bucket so I could make my belgo-strong ale today. When all else fails, leave it alone and see what it does.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
marvaden
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Dinnerstick,

Did you bottle while you had the fusels still in there or are you trying to see if they bulk age out? I've found that bulk aging seems to make things like fusels go away quicker than in the bottle.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I actually had something very similar. Now i was going for what i called "farmhouse triple". Basic triple recipe brewed to an OG of 1.092. Pitched a healthy starter of WLP500. Fermented as usual (65F)Decided this would be when I'd add the Brett. Ended up having an issue with not being at to get Brett cultures. So i added Reyon Vert dregs, Orval dregs, and a vial of American farmhouse blend.

From the start i knew i was gonna add several lbs of DME/sugar, so i added enough to get me to 1.1026ish and added that as the krausen was dropping. Pitched the farmhouse blend and dregs.

Fermentation went crazy and i left for a trip to Ireland. Got home a month later, ended up getting on a new production and forgot about the thing. About 4 months after the second fermentation i was finally able to check gravity (1.004)and sample it. Good god my chest tightened up, i felt dizzy and **** it burned going down. I knew logically that i was fine but for a split second thought i had made something toxic. I hate dumping batches but was prepared to get rid of it. Work picked up, got stuck editing a huge project so let it sit for close to 6 months. Figured worst that would happen is the thing oxidized and I'd dump it.

Pulled a sample this weekend. Holy **** it's amazing. The best beer I've ever had. All that fusel flavor is gone, the alcohol is nice and mellow, the yeast flavor is perfectly balanced and there's a wonderful Brett tartness to the beer.

That was when i fell in love with Brett.

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #20
dinnerstick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvaden View Post
Dinnerstick,

Did you bottle while you had the fusels still in there or are you trying to see if they bulk age out? I've found that bulk aging seems to make things like fusels go away quicker than in the bottle.
hi, fortunately this was a small test batch, i'm just working on a recipe. so i happened to have a few forgotten bottles and encountered one on a thirsty afternoon, rather then that i was trying to age it out. my second round of tests are fermenting now, with dupont yeast and with dupont + several brett strains...

Quick Reply