Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Fruit in wild beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
simcoe4life
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fruit in wild beer

So I've added a bunch of grapes to some sour carboys recently.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/cab...grapes-177091/

The fruit has floated to the top of the carboy, and there is roughly a 1/4 inch layer of them that are raised up and out of the beer. Plenty of the grapes are still submerged under them, in the beer. The top layer appears only slightly wet, but definitely not in contact with the beer.

Should I be concerned about this top layer of grapes that is not in contact with the beer....will it eventually rot? I'm planning on keeping the fruit in the beer for at least 3 months. Maybe I should be poking the fruit back down into beer every now and then, or rocking the carboy somewhat? I haven't had this problem with other fruit beers in the past, primarily because I didn't add so much fruit.

Secondary: Belgian Pale, Saison d'Lupulin, Farmhouse IPA

Kegged: Saison d'Lupulin

Sour Secondary: Cabernet Oud Bruin, Sour Cherry Oud Bruin, Sour Ale base, Kriek, Wild Night, Wild Night w/Blueberries, Wild Noel

Sour Cellared: Cabernet Lambic, Wild American, Merlot Lambic, Namaste Golden Ale, Saison Twenty-Three, Spring Equinox Saison, Belgian Pale, Orval Clone, Chardonnay Saison, Sour Cherry Saison, Cabernet Flemish Red, Bordeaux Lambic

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcoe4life View Post
So I've added a bunch of grapes to some sour carboys recently.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/cab...grapes-177091/

The fruit has floated to the top of the carboy, and there is roughly a 1/4 inch layer of them that are raised up and out of the beer. Plenty of the grapes are still submerged under them, in the beer. The top layer appears only slightly wet, but definitely not in contact with the beer.

Should I be concerned about this top layer of grapes that is not in contact with the beer....will it eventually rot? I'm planning on keeping the fruit in the beer for at least 3 months. Maybe I should be poking the fruit back down into beer every now and then, or rocking the carboy somewhat? I haven't had this problem with other fruit beers in the past, primarily because I didn't add so much fruit.
Avoid rocking or shaking to prevent oxidation.

Did you crush the fruit before adding it?

If so, I'd think that some of it will fall back into the beer. I have made a couple of blackberry ales, and the fruit always seems to rise to the surface, and after about two weeks most of it falls back into the carboy.

I normally secondary for only two weeks though, and sometimes add a tertiary to clear for an additional week.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 05-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
simcoe4life
Recipes 

Good call on the rocking of the carboy. A friend told me rock the carboy slowly in an effort to submerge the fruit again but it just didn't sound right.

The fruit was pulverised as it was being poked through a funnel while dropping into the beer, so yeah, somewhat "crushed" but not completely.

I'm keeping an eye on it. The fruit in my sour cherry chocolate stout and chardonnay has risen to the top, just not far ~above~ the top level. Hopefully the grapes will fall back in as you mentioned.

Secondary: Belgian Pale, Saison d'Lupulin, Farmhouse IPA

Kegged: Saison d'Lupulin

Sour Secondary: Cabernet Oud Bruin, Sour Cherry Oud Bruin, Sour Ale base, Kriek, Wild Night, Wild Night w/Blueberries, Wild Noel

Sour Cellared: Cabernet Lambic, Wild American, Merlot Lambic, Namaste Golden Ale, Saison Twenty-Three, Spring Equinox Saison, Belgian Pale, Orval Clone, Chardonnay Saison, Sour Cherry Saison, Cabernet Flemish Red, Bordeaux Lambic

Quick Reply