Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Flanders Red in only 9 weeks?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Morkin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Flanders Red in only 9 weeks?

Has anyone read "Wild Brews" by Jeff Sparrow?

On his Flanders Red Receipe, he states that a a Flanders Red needs to be brewed at 68 degrees for one week, typical ale schedule.

He then says to do a secondary with the bugs for 1 year at celler temperatures, or 8 weeks at 80 degrees.

Seeing how it is summer and I can leave my fermenter in a spare bedroom at 80 degrees, this intrigues me greatly. I was planing on a Flanders Red soon, and this seems like a great alternative to the many years I planed on doing sours.

2 questions, am I reading this correctly, and second, will it have dramatically different tastes that I shouldn't even bother doing it? Thanks for any help.

Drinking - Germann Pumpkin Ale
Primary- Schwarzbier
Secondary - Nothing
Bottled - Gose, Eisbock
Kegged - Nothing
Next Batch -
Planning - Berliner Weisse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There's no way you're going to have a Flanders red in 9 weeks. If there was some sort off magical shortcut to making these beers, the breweries that make them would be employing that strategy. These types of sours need the time to really work. I would be patient and go the distance.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Morkin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thats what I figured, but wasn't sure if the high 80 degree temp would allow the bugs to work faster....

Primary- Schwarzbier
Secondary - Nothing
Bottled - Gose, Eisbock
Kegged - Nothing
Next Batch -

Old 06-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
JoMarky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The bugs would work faster, and it would be "done" sooner, but I doubt it will taste the same. Regular yeast will ferment faster and be done quicker at 80 degrees too, but there's reasons nobody takes that short cut.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

You could have an interesting faux-Flanders Red in 9 weeks if you do a sour mash for the sourness and ferment 100% with Brett L or Brett B to get some of that nice funk.

It won't be authentic, but it should taste really good.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
wscott823
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If you're alright forgoing the pedio & brett characteristics of a flanders then I suppose it may work for you. If you're expecting to get a Rodenbach in 9 wks you'll be sadly disappointed. The best brews take time and you need to listen to the beer.

Bottled: Sparkling Ambrosia, Chai Graff, Cerberus Barleywine, Jamil's Evil Twin, Chinook IPA
Planned Brews: Devil's Serum (Golden Strong Ale)

Make Your Own Belgian Candi Syrup

Old 06-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
Morkin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll probably just do the years method instead of the super fast and easy method. I'm no newbie to brewing, only sours, and I've acquired the mindset of not rushing beers, even though I like my beers to come out fast! Thanks for all the feedback.

Primary- Schwarzbier
Secondary - Nothing
Bottled - Gose, Eisbock
Kegged - Nothing
Next Batch -

Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

while probably impossible, it couldn't hurt to try b4 you go to waiting for years. if you have an open fermenter take the two to three months and give it a shot. i still think 6 mos. minimum for any decent sour, but it can't hurt to try. after all, there are no golden rules for sours. by fermenting in a bucket you'll give it a lot of O2 exposure to get the acidity going early on. i've gotta few brett only sours that i plan on bottling and begin drinking <6 mos. for the third time, it can never hurt to try

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 06-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
maskednegator
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
If there was some sort off magical shortcut to making these beers, the breweries that make them would be employing that strategy.
I think that's a pretty silly argument. There are plenty of traditional techniques that are practiced over better modern techniques - turbid mash, koelschip, decoction - for no reason other than tradition.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskednegator View Post
I think that's a pretty silly argument. There are plenty of traditional techniques that are practiced over better modern techniques - turbid mash, koelschip, decoction - for no reason other than tradition.
And as soon as a "Modern" brewery brews a beer as good as the Lambics/Gueuzes I've had from Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen etc... I'll believe you. These techniques require time/skill that many brewers don't have, but when used correctly it is certainly not just for "tradition" (that is the silly argument).

The warmer ferment will certainly speed up the souring, but you won't get the depth and complexity that a longer/cooler fermentation will give. I think it is certainly worth a shot, but get a normal batch going too, the sooner the better.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Quick Reply