Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Flanders Red or Brown - leave on yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #11
dmoore714
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oach View Post
Did you do a Flander red or brown? Do you mind sharing your recipe along with mash temps, etc?
Sorry for the delayed response. Here’s the recipe I used. This is a Flanders Red recipe, adapted from a guy in my local brew club. His volumes were much more specific. I rounded mine up/down to the nearest half pound (cause I’m lazy).

Where his recipe called for pale wheat, I subbed in some Red Wheat
Where his reciple called for EK Goldings, I used Saaz
And I threw in the .75lb of amber DME because I had it laying around

5 lb 2-row
5 lb Vienna
1 lb Munich
.5 lb Belgian Aromatic
.5 lb Caramunich
.5 lb Special B
.5 lb Red Wheat Malt
.75lb Amber DME
0.75 oz Saaz

I started out my mash way too high (170) but managed to drop it down with some ice over the first 5+ minutes of the mash. Mashed for 60 minutes and boiled for 90 minutes. If I recall correctly, my OG was something like 1.064.
I pitched the Rosealare and some US-05 in primary. Racked to secondary after 7 days, and there she sits for the next several months.

I have 2oz of oak cubes to add. Can’t decide how much to use, and what (if anything) to soak them in before I put them in. We’ll see.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
knucklenitz
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just brewed a Flanders Red first time this past weekend as well. Will likely rack to secondary in a month or so but also have questions about how much French oak cube to add, boil first, how long to leave in secondary, etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply