The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Flanders Red, 6 month tasting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default Flanders Red, 6 month tasting

I tasted my Flanders last weekend when I was finishing up another beer (Westvleteren 12 clone). It was only slightly sour with a very strong cherry flavor and it was very oakey, which faded after a while in the glass. I used an medium toast oak spiral.

I know it's only 6 months, but how much more sour should it get? It's barely noticeable next to my Berliner Weisse.

Will the oak drop out more over time? (From other oak threads, it seems yes - somewhat... but this is my first oaked beer).

[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by malweth View Post
I tasted my Flanders last weekend when I was finishing up another beer (Westvleteren 12 clone). It was only slightly sour with a very strong cherry flavor and it was very oakey, which faded after a while in the glass. I used an medium toast oak spiral.

I know it's only 6 months, but how much more sour should it get? It's barely noticeable next to my Berliner Weisse.

Will the oak drop out more over time? (From other oak threads, it seems yes - somewhat... but this is my first oaked beer).
In my experience (with mine and friends' Flanders Reds), it isn't until after the 12 month mark but really closer to 18 months that they develop that nice complex vinous sour flavor.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Also did you do anything to remove some of the tannins from the oak spiral (boiling, soaking in something, etc)? If you just dropped it in, I can see why it is very oaky.

I have oak cubes in my 2 sour batches, but they were already soaked in something or lightly boiled prior to adding. I want the oak there mainly for a bug hideout and will use them to innoculate future batches.

Also, not sure what bugs you pitched, or whether Flanders Reds are supposed to have lacto, pedio, and brett? But I only used the dregs from Odells Deconstruction and a Jolly Pumpkin sour. They are both really sour already (5 month mark) and its first generation. Just starting to take on the brett character. My 1 gallon jug was fermented with only JP dregs. I might have to blend in some unsoured pale beer for balance. Jolly Pumpkin is the real deal for souring if you can find some.

Primary #1: Surly Bender clone #2:Berry Rhubarb Wine
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Dark Side Dunkel, Irish Red
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
In my experience (with mine and friends' Flanders Reds), it isn't until after the 12 month mark but really closer to 18 months that they develop that nice complex vinous sour flavor.
Awesome. I was planning on letting it sit about 18 months... looks like I sample again in 6 months.

The flavor was really great - it's just the sour that wasn't there... and the oak was a bit too forward. It kind of tasted like a (very light) cherry wine.

[On Tap (Keg)]
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine

Old 05-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
Also did you do anything to remove some of the tannins from the oak spiral (boiling, soaking in something, etc)? If you just dropped it in, I can see why it is very oaky.

I have oak cubes in my 2 sour batches, but they were already soaked in something or lightly boiled prior to adding. I want the oak there mainly for a bug hideout and will use them to innoculate future batches.
I did just drop it in... luckily tannins will definitely drop out a bit over time. I was also planning on dropping the same spiral in for batch #2 (when it's time to bottle / keg batch #1). Do you know if the oak tends to disintegrate, as I've heard can happen with chips?

[On Tap (Keg)]
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine

Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I think your spiral will be fine in future sours, at least for batch #2. My cubes look the same as they did when I pitched them initially and its been 5 months. I would guess 2-3 years before they really become a problem.

Primary #1: Surly Bender clone #2:Berry Rhubarb Wine
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Dark Side Dunkel, Irish Red
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

You're souring time frame is going to depend on what you've pitched. There is a chart in Wild Brews that shows the timeline over which different yeasts and microbes are active and contributing to the beer's flavor, although I can't remember if that's for Flanders or Lambics.

JP dregs sound like the magic bullet for sours. Could excuse to keep a few bottles around just in case some homebrew needs the help.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Quick Reply