Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Flanders Brown Ale/Oud Bruin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
drez77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Flanders Brown Ale/Oud Bruin

Getting ready to pitch the bugs but I am curious if I should have a regular airlock on this of if this should be done with the oak peg in the top. I know that the brown is supposed to be less sour than the red and the more oxygen that the bugs have to play with the more sour it will get. Maybe have the oak peg in for a few weeks then go to an airlock??

Looking for some opinions.

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The oak peg doesn't really make that much of a difference---maybe you get a little more "vinegar" character, but past that, I wouldn't worry about it getting too sour. Question is, did you ferment it partially with saccharomyces before adding the bugs? For an Oud Bruin, that's what I'd do, rather than pitching the bugs and the sacch at the same time.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Question is, did you ferment it partially with saccharomyces before adding the bugs? For an Oud Bruin, that's what I'd do, rather than pitching the bugs and the sacch at the same time.
I did yes. Pitched S-05 on Saturday night. I think I will be transferring this over to a 5g carboy on Sunday and then pitching the bugs.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
The oak peg doesn't really make that much of a difference---maybe you get a little more "vinegar" character, but past that, I wouldn't worry about it getting too sour. Question is, did you ferment it partially with saccharomyces before adding the bugs? For an Oud Bruin, that's what I'd do, rather than pitching the bugs and the sacch at the same time.
I agree. I would also add that Oud Bruin is not noted for its strong vinegar like Flanders Red, so I would stay away from the oak dowel.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Good enough for me .. airlock it is .. now I just have to remember to chekc on it to make sure it does not dry out...

Old 06-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I am in the midst of fermenting my flanders brown, and I have left it in the primary for 13 days. I was under the impression that I should let primary complete prior to pitch the bugs. I am not thinking I let it ferment out too far, although I have not taken a grav reading yet. My OG was 1.055 with a target FG of 1.1012, so I calculate 80% fermentation at 1.020. What is the lowest gravity I should have to pitch the bugs to promote growth? If I fermented too far, does anyone have a formula for me to use to calculate how much DME to cook up to ramp up the sugars?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
Effington
Recipes 

Sorry for the bump, but I'm looking for an Oud Bruin recipe and I can't find one searching the site...

Last edited by Effington; 11-03-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You'll find Oud Bruin recipes in both Brewing Classic Styles and Radical Brewing (Mosher).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply