Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > First Wild Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
El_Exorcisto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default First Wild Brew

Not a Lambic or Flanders, but about as wild a brew as it gets. I read the wild yeast thread cover to cover twice, but something just didn't seem right. For over five centuries the farmers of Wollonia have been brewing their Saisons with the yeast available to them, and I am fairly certain that agar plates weren't available, nor would they sacrifice a pint of their hard-won wort to get what was flying around in the air... Then it hit me, HONEY.

Honey is everything the agar plate is, without all the scientific method. It is somewhat immune to a lot of bacteria, almost all molds, but harbors yeast quite well. If you don't believe me, check out the white fog around the edges of the jar... It's a krausen.

So I took a little bit of my last batch of stout wort, added some honey, and airlocked it in a bottle. Beside it on the counter sat a mixture of a different honey, water, raisins, and some apple peel, also airlocked. After three days they are both actively fermenting and both smell and taste just barely alcoholic. The stout tester tastes vaguely of prunes, which is very new to me. So tonight I fired up the brewpot, and am doing two gallons in my old MR. BEER. Two pounds of Malteurop two-row, a lb of Briess wheat malt, and another quarter pound of the more prolific honey from the stout starter. I'll hop with some cascades, lightly of course. The two starters are sitting in the fermentor, along with the honey, waiting for dinner to be served.

I'm mashing right now, and will have the OG later on tonight. Once I see some activity I'll have some pics to post. Hopefully it turns out into something worth drinking, maybe even doing again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
electric_beer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Subscribed! I'm very curious of your results.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3283 Times on 2046 Posts
Likes Given: 2802

I'm glued to this thread.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I dumped my wort in at 80 degrees, will most likely ferment out at 62, that seems to be what my other batches do in my basement. OG was 1.047, temp corrected. The honey that seems to be the most yeasty comes from a local apiary in Newport, NY. That had a krausen formed on my stout starter in about 12 hrs. There was about 1/4 tsp of honey in about 6 oz of wort. I'm really, really anxious to see what kicks loose from this. Oh, I added another little box of raisins... I'm not exactly sure why, but I also couldn't come up with a good reason as to "why not?" So this will be a one-trick pony, since It will be utterly impossible to replicate everything I did, and I have a minimum of a dozen different strains of yeast munching away. I might save some yeast cake and bring it to Utica College and see if a bio major feels like streaking and isolating the strains involved.

Last edited by El_Exorcisto; 12-03-2010 at 02:28 AM.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:28 AM   #5
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I'm glued to this thread.

ditto.. sounds sweet.

thanks for sharing your little science project with us
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Old 12-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Woke up this morning to see a krausen already cooking away... Very exciting times.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
HoppyMaltPoet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have been wondering about doing something like this for awhile. Interested to see how it turns out.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I don't believe honey was used as a yeast source for any Belgian beers. As much as I know they were all spontaneously fermented.

I believe honey typically contains schizosaccharomyces, which reproduces by fission rather than budding, like saccaromyces does. However, you might be getting some sacc. from the raisins. I hope it turns out well for you. I have a wild beer in the bottle from some yeast I captured in wort from a peach. I'll be cracking them open next weekend to see how it is.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It's tasting a little like how burning car tires smell... Along with some fruitiness too. I took a tsp from the spigot, an yep, tastes just how it smells. Hopefully it works through it's this. It's only day one, but I'm really anxious.

Oh, and even if it is a schizosacch, it'll munch down on sugars just like sacch. I'm sure, since you know about schizo you know it was originally isolated from millet beers of West Africa. How the yeast reproduces is of little consequence to me. All the things it accomplishes as it grows and reproduces do however intrigue me.

Last edited by El_Exorcisto; 12-03-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #10
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Holy KRAUSEN Batman!!! It looks a little more than 1/4" thick, and VERY dense. The burnt rubber flavor is already starting to subside, hopefully it will be all gone once it finishes out fermentation.

I took a gravity and it's already down to 1.034. Then of course I took a couple big gulps, and it tastes oh so slightly clovey, a little pruney, with a lot of citrus flavor. I only FWHed and boiled for 20 minutes with a quarter ounce each addition, so it is going to be low on the bitter and moderate on the citrus. I moved it upstairs after taking a temp of 59* in my basement.

Last edited by El_Exorcisto; 12-04-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply