The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > First try at a Lambic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #21
BryanThompson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 11

That's how mine was. I had a gallon of headspace and filled three two liter jugs with foam. After the primary finished I mixed up all the yeast at the bottom and racked it into the secondary. This way I can see the pellicle when/if it forms.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #22
alanwelam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did you fill the jars with any type of sanitizing solution? seems you wouldn't want to return anything back to the carboy unless it was from an empty/sanitized jug, but then again you'd want some type of sanitizer to create the airlock effect and prevent anything from returning to your beer.

how exactly did you set this up?

Inferno Brewery
Primary: Sam Smith Cherry Clone
Secondary: Empty :(

Kegs: Luxuria Vanilla Porter, Kona Coffee Stout, Belgian Dubbel, IPA, Orange Blossom Honey Hefe, Rouge Dead Guy clone, Pumpkin Ale, Sweetwater 420 Clone, ESB

Bottled: Peach Wheat, Evil Monk Quad Ale (v1 and v2), Sold Soul Double Chocolate Stout (v1 and v2), Pomegranate IPA

Old 12-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #23
BryanThompson
Recipes 

I just dumped out the foam.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:45 AM   #24
mikeosoft
Recipes 

My first lambic has been sitting on the cake for about 4 months now, the initial fermentation was also very aggressive for the first 7 days or so. Similar to other advice here, I plan to let it sit in the primary 10-12 months before pitching fruit.

Will the lambic blend be viable enough to bottle condition after a year or should I pitch a clean ale or champagne yeast when I bottle?

Old 12-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #25
alanwelam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mike,

It sounds like one of the best ways to go about this is to brew a second lambic about 6 months after your first, and then blend the two together to bottle. You get the sugar and active fermentation from the second batch, plus the complexity and flavors from the first batch. This results in a highly carbonated, complex beer.

Just my 2 cents, I'm there's another recommendation available. Pick up Wild Brews if you haven't yet.

Inferno Brewery
Primary: Sam Smith Cherry Clone
Secondary: Empty :(

Kegs: Luxuria Vanilla Porter, Kona Coffee Stout, Belgian Dubbel, IPA, Orange Blossom Honey Hefe, Rouge Dead Guy clone, Pumpkin Ale, Sweetwater 420 Clone, ESB

Bottled: Peach Wheat, Evil Monk Quad Ale (v1 and v2), Sold Soul Double Chocolate Stout (v1 and v2), Pomegranate IPA

Old 12-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #26
mikeosoft
Recipes 

That sounds like a plan. I have read about blending for complexity but I hadn't considered it being beneficial for carbonation.

With multiple carboys tied up for months on these lambics it looks like I'm going to need to buy a few more!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #27
extra_medium
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed a batch, fermented with ale yeast and want to sour it. If I add brett to the primary and store it for a year, do I have to worry about autolysis or would the brett clean that up?

SALUTE!
~XM~

Salute!

_____
~XM~

Best Hop Manual Ever
My brew sculpture

Old 12-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #28
BryanThompson
Recipes 

The brett will take care of it. Did you add any maltodextrin for the bugs to munch on?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #29
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The brett feed on the dead yeast. To sour, you will need to pitch pedio too. Some say pitch together, some say stagger by a few months. I like to pitch together with 8 ozs of malto. I prefer to primary with a blend, sours much faster. My scotch ale that I pitched roselare into secondary with malto is just slighty tart and funking after a year. Letting it ride for another.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Home Brew Talk

My hop stopper

Old 12-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #30
extra_medium
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanThompson View Post
The brett will take care of it. Did you add any maltodextrin for the bugs to munch on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by milldoggy View Post
The brett feed on the dead yeast. To sour, you will need to pitch pedio too. Some say pitch together, some say stagger by a few months. I like to pitch together with 8 ozs of malto. I prefer to primary with a blend, sours much faster. My scotch ale that I pitched roselare into secondary with malto is just slighty tart and funking after a year. Letting it ride for another.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Home Brew Talk
I did not add any malto, i was going to do a quick 1gallon extract batch to bring volume up..i'll add malto to that. how much for about 6 gallons total volume? (i am not trying to hijack the thread, but this is my first one too)

Salute!

_____
~XM~

Best Hop Manual Ever
My brew sculpture

Last edited by extra_medium; 12-07-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: clarify comment

Quick Reply