Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > First try at a Lambic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
alanwelam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

RAM,
Thanks for the info. One other question... Should you aerate the wort prior to pitching the yeast? I see a lot of info about O2 in the wort producing acetic acid, but this focuses on the fermenter type. Is there another thread or has anyone addressed wort oxygenation prior to fermentation?

Thanks!

Inferno Brewery
Primary: Sam Smith Cherry Clone
Secondary: Empty :(

Kegs: Luxuria Vanilla Porter, Kona Coffee Stout, Belgian Dubbel, IPA, Orange Blossom Honey Hefe, Rouge Dead Guy clone, Pumpkin Ale, Sweetwater 420 Clone, ESB

Bottled: Peach Wheat, Evil Monk Quad Ale (v1 and v2), Sold Soul Double Chocolate Stout (v1 and v2), Pomegranate IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
McCheese352
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think acetic is a longer term issue, Acetobacter converting ethanol to acetic acid? I assume the sacc. contained in the blend would make short work of any initial aeration that's done.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #13
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Acetic acid won't be a concern at the beginning, it's a long term issue. The initial O2 from aeration will get taken up by the yeast during fermentation.

However, I would not aerate too much because pedio can die in the presence of too much oxygen. I would just shake the fermenter for a few minutes. Your lambic should be a low gravity beer so the yeast should be able to start fermentation in a day or two without a problem.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
alanwelam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When would you add maltodextrine? To the boil?

Inferno Brewery

Kegs: Luxuria Vanilla Porter, Kona Coffee Stout, Belgian Dubbel, IPA, Orange Blossom Honey Hefe, Rouge Dead Guy clone, Pumpkin Ale, Sweetwater 420 Clone, ESB

Bottled: Peach Wheat, Evil Monk Quad Ale (v1 and v2), Sold Soul Double Chocolate Stout (v1 and v2), Pomegranate IPA

Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Add it to the boil, at least for 15 mins. Sac yeast cannot ferment it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Home Brew Talk

My hop stopper

Old 11-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
leyon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

about the type of yeast to pitch and the exact timing, I would recommend to start the fermentation with a neutral strain, then add a lambic profile yeast.
why? the fermetation will start better and sooner with cervisiae (and avoid infection) and the lambic strain will do the rest: cervisiae cannot break some complex sugars chains, as you know, but wild yeasts can and then, will still have the possibility to develop longer than the first one.

it is ilso possible to add both at the start: wyeast packages for this purpose are blends.

Laurent

Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I would just buy a lambic blend and add it as it sits in the package. When lambic producers utilize a cool ship they certainly don't get 1mil/ml yeast per degree plato. So if you are under pitching with the lambic cultures I don't see it as a bad thing. In fact I EXTREMELY underpitched a saison using a lambic blend and it didn't start fermenting for 3-4 days. I added heat finally and it took off.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
alanwelam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I brewed Tuesday. Now it's Thursday... I guess I was under the impression somehow that the primary fermentation was a slow process, therefore I could put just a little under 5 gallons into a 5 gallon carboy and put a 3 piece airlock on top... Two days later, I have the leaning tower of fermentation sitting atop the carboy. I'm just glad that this didn't clog the airlock while I was at work last night... That would have been a gigantic mess to clean up. At this point, the mess was limited to only the cabinet that I store the fermenting beer in. It's now sitting in the bath tub with a blow off tube on it...

Inferno Brewery

Old 11-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
BrewHound
Recipes 

I've been thinking about a lambic for a while now. Keep updating! I'll take any advice I can get!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #20
alanwelam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewhound: just go for it.

Guys, the primary fermentation has been extremely aggressive. I put this into a 5 gal carboy for the primary, thinking that due to a long primary phase I wouldn't need to worry as much about headspace. somewhere in the 24-48 hour range, I had the leaning tower of fermentation sitting atop the airlock. I switched to a blow-off tube and put it in the extra bathroom tub that I'm not using. at day 10 now, and the fermentation is still going at a strong pace. Is this to be expected? I have to admit, this caught me by surprise.

Inferno Brewery

Quick Reply