Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > First sour saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #21
Trail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

So you went from BIAB to RIMS? I don't know a lot of people who made that particular switch. What made you take the leap?

Kegged: Scottish Ale
Bottled: Honey Saison
Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner (Still!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #22
kscarrington
Silent Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It wasn't a direct switch, but rather a gradual migration. Went from BIAB to using a 5-gallon cooler mash tun around January. Appreciated the ability to have greater control over the brew session, and the unbelievably clear wort it produced. Ended up picking up a keg from a brew friend to convert into a mash tun. Based on the volume and lack of insulation, I decided it would be a good excuse to build up a RIMS system. I've done 2 or 3 brews on the most current system (10-gallon HLT, 15-gallon keg mash tun with false bottom, 15.5 gallon BK, using a pump to transfer the majority of the liquids), before I decided to give the RIMS system a trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerin
So you went from BIAB to RIMS? I don't know a lot of people who made that particular switch. What made you take the leap?

Old 09-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #23
JBuz
Recipes 

Sorry its been a few days. Zymurgy Vol.34 No.2 pg 36.
If you don't have it let me know.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #24
kscarrington
Silent Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Things are moving right along with both batches. The other day I pulled a sample of the Roesalaire blend. Good flavor, already starting to pick up some sour notes.

I was getting concerned with the non-sour batch, as 3 weeks into fermentation it was still hovering around 1.030. I started it at room temperature, and once fermentation signs were visible I began ramping up the temps about 2° a day, and it's been sitting steadily at 83°. Decided to be patient and ride it out, and I was pleasantly surprised that it's now at about 1.014. Looks like I can save that emergency packet of 05 for another batch! I'll give it another week or so to finish out, then will split the batch into cherry and non-cherry.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:45 AM   #25
Trail
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

My saison isn't behaving - stopped at 1016, which is when I shrugged my shoulders and bottled it. Still pretty tasty - it was a desert beer in the first place, with noble hops and honey malt - but not as dry as I wanted. Probably oxygenation.

Try some yeast nutrient if you don't get much more out of the yeast.

Kegged: Scottish Ale
Bottled: Honey Saison
Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner (Still!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #26
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail View Post
Your other option is to do a lacto sour... do your mash, then instead of boiling cool to 110, throw in a bag of unmashed grain, and wait a couple days until it sours from the bacteria. Then heat 'er back up to a boil and do your 60-minute hopping schedule as normal. This will yield a less complex sour, generally, but it's pretty controllable... you get exactly as much sour as you want, as long as you have time to start the boil when it hits the sweet spot.
I do BIAB in a 44 qt bayou classic with fryer basket/bag. Using this method, I could just do my normal mash, let it cool to 110 like you say, then put a handful of grain in a hop bag, tie it to the handle, cover the BK in saran wrap or something and let it sit for a few days. Once it reaches sour enough flavor, boil and add hops as usual.

This would essentially allow me to brew a sour without having to buy separate equipment or worry about cross contamination, right? Or am I missing something?

How many days does it take to reach a detectable sour flavor?

Old 10-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #27
kscarrington
Silent Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I racked half of the non-sour variant onto a pound of sweet cherries, will probably bottle in about a week or so. FG ended up hitting 1.004.

Quick Reply