The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > first sour brew tommorrow!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Ton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default first sour brew tommorrow!!!

Tommorow i'll making my first sour brew. Its just a simple red ale that i'm adding lacto to. im pretty excited to start exploring this stuff.

to not make this post worthless, anyone else doing their first sour brew anytime soon? anyone ever just use lacto?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ton View Post
Tommorow i'll making my first sour brew. Its just a simple red ale that i'm adding lacto to. im pretty excited to start exploring this stuff.

to not make this post worthless, anyone else doing their first sour brew anytime soon? anyone ever just use lacto?
Actually I just did my first Berliner Weisse last saturday. I have brewed with lacto before but never this much of it...I actually made a bacteria starter!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
brewmonger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ton View Post

I am doing an experiment aging an imperial stout on oak and with brett, that includes 1 gallon of beer with lactic bacteria & brett. I took the bacteria from a combination of sauerkraut, sour dough bread, whey from yogurt, and raw apple cider vinegar. Built a small starter for them using a cup of the beer (its 10% ABV!) and a cup of molasses water. Every day I added more of the beer to the starter (a cup at a time), to get the bugs accustomed to the high alcohol concentration.

Its aging on oak right now. We'll see if these lactic bugs do anything, despite the high alcohol. I'm guessing it will take a while because the alcohol will slow them down (if they even survived). Probably won't bottle it till Oct. or Nov.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Ton
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

ive read that bacteria tend not to like high alcohol and som strains of lacto dont like hops either. that should be pretty interesting stuff if the bugs do work. good luck with that.

i was gonna make a starter with the lacto but i didnt order my stuff earlier enough. so i'm just winging it.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
Ton
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

less than a day later.......

Old 02-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I actually drank my first bottle of sour beer yesterday, but it never used to be sour. I brewed a honey blonde a long time ago and just dug up a bottle from the archive. It had a really nice fruity/tangy sourness that was never there before!

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 02-22-2009, 04:43 AM   #7
Ton
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

sour is sour right

i never seem to have beer in my archive. probably cause i'm young, and my friends just drink it up.

Quick Reply