Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > First sour

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default First sour

After having a dozen or so brews under my belt and having my method figured out, I decided to make a brew that would be aged for a while. I decided to make a Flanders Red, which seems to be the most popular type of sour. Anyhow onto my question

I put this in the fermentor yesterday at 7PM. After using my wort chiller, I transfered to my fermentor and noticed all this protein floating. Is this normal? After consulting my LHBS I decided to go with 3522. Im going to pitch the brett c in about a week. So thats about it. I guess Im just a bit concern with all the crap in there since the last time ive seen that much trub was when I was just dumping the boil pot into the fermentor. I did strain all the hops out with a paint strainer as I was filling the fermentor. Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys06Tbss View Post
After having a dozen or so brews under my belt and having my method figured out, I decided to make a brew that would be aged for a while. I decided to make a Flanders Red, which seems to be the most popular type of sour. Anyhow onto my question

I put this in the fermentor yesterday at 7PM. After using my wort chiller, I transfered to my fermentor and noticed all this protein floating. Is this normal? After consulting my LHBS I decided to go with 3522. Im going to pitch the brett c in about a week. So thats about it. I guess Im just a bit concern with all the crap in there since the last time ive seen that much trub was when I was just dumping the boil pot into the fermentor. I did strain all the hops out with a paint strainer as I was filling the fermentor. Thanks in advance
From what I can tell of the picture and your description, the floating protein doesn't look any different from any other style of beer to me.

On the plan for your Flanders: how do you intend to sour it? The Ardennes strain + Brett C will give it some fruity funk, but won't replicate a sour Flanders Red profile without some souring bacteria. You may want to consider adding Roeselare (Wyeast 3763) or the dregs of a commercial Flanders/Oud Bruin (like Monks or Petrus Pale/Brown).

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 06-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well it was my understanding that the Brett C would have performed the task I guess Im an idiot then. How many bottle dregs do you think I would need?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys06Tbss View Post
Well it was my understanding that the Brett C would have performed the task I guess Im an idiot then. How many bottle dregs do you think I would need?
It depends on how viable the dregs are, but you could probably get away with as little as one bottle depending on how long you plan to age the beer. Of course, in the name of research, you may want to add several bottles worth ...

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2110

Did you use corn? The only time I've ever had a protein blob like that was from racking kettle trub over was with a lot of corn in the recipe. I think I usually do 20% corn in my sour reds.

Jolly Pumpkin is a good beer to add dregs from, too. Their Flanders style La Roja is tasty.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No corn used here.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This fermentation is uber violent. That's some mighty happy yeast. This carboy looks like its swollen.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

How much head space is required after the bugs are pitched? I have a 5 gallon glass fermenter but since this batch is at 5.5 gallons I might have to do something different. Or could I just pitch the bugs in the primary with the brett

My blog. All things Ryan

DeathBase Brewery

Old 06-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you don't need any headspace, there won't be another krausen, just far & few bubbles & maybe a pellicle if there is enough air inside. I prefer getting the bugs in asap, otherwise it takes too long to get sour enough. If it will be staying in this vessel for the long haul id add them with the brett, if you plan on transferring soon, i'd wait til then

Old 06-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It started at 1.070. Its at 1.050 after 3 days. I was going to wait and pitch the Brett on Sunday. Unless you think I should just do it now. I can pitch dregs on at any given moment right?

My blog. All things Ryan

DeathBase Brewery

Quick Reply