Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > First sour

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
AmandaK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
Has anyone had good results pitching the sediment from a commercial bottle for adding Brett or bacteria?
I do this in all my sours along side a commercial package of Wyeast and have gotten excellent results.

Supplication clone? RR Supplication dregs and Roeselare.
Lambic? Lambic Blend and Cantillon/Haansen's/homebrewed dregs.
Flanders Red/Brown? Various dregs (JP, RR, Avery, etc) and Roeselare.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Sebas83
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on that. Adding dregs or even propped up dregs tends to add depth to the brett/bugs from wyeast and white labs.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2634 Times on 1710 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Thanks for all the help. I'm looking forward to adding sours and Brett beers to my lineup. Now I just need to stop typing and brew.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #14
WesleyS
Recipes 

I figured I'd give an update. I brewed what was originally meant to be a Saison with Brett, but the LHBS had a slightly out of date vial of WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale yeast for 1/4 of the price. Since I make starters anyways and want the Brett to shine, I bought it over the Saison yeast. I went with my originally planned grain bill:
8lbs pilsner malt
2lbs wheat malt
2lbs unmalted wheat
8oz flaked oats
8oz sugar
OG(1.070)was higher than expected since I got better efficiency with this batch,(still trying to dial in my corona mill)and I took the advise of others with the same mill and crushed till I was scared. I hopped with some hops I already had to target 29 IBUs.(perle, sterling, saaz) I pitched my starter, which included the dregs from a Boulevard Saison-Brett, in the mid 60s. After a couple of days when the krausen subsided a bit, I pitched the dregs from an Orval. It's now been 16 days since brew day and there's still activity. I sampled it today and there is a definite Brett presence there, even though it has a long way to go. I'm glad adding the dregs worked well. Its too early to know if I'll add fruit to this one, I'll just wait and see where it goes as the flavors from the Brett develop. If I do, I'll definitely add something subtle, not overpowering.

Now it's time to brew a sour. I'm thinking of pitching the same yeast(WLP570) with dregs from a JP beer I have and a Lindeman's Cuvée. Any suggestions on different dregs to add instead are welcome.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:15 AM   #15
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Very nice! Welcome to the world of sours!

As for dregs... I use whatever I like the aromas and flavors of. If I like it, I'll check the interwebs and see if it's pasteurized, if not, I'll pitch it right in one of my random batches.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 10-18-2012, 03:21 AM   #16
WesleyS
Recipes 

Another update here.
As far as the Belgian golden with Brett that I previously posted about, the flavors and aromas of the Brett are coming around. Its leathery with hints of horse and barnyard. Its been in the carboy for about 2 1/2 months now. I still don't know yet if I'm going to add something subtle like peach or apricot or maybe orange peel to this one or just leave it alone. I'll just leave it alone for now and decide that later.

Now on to my sour. I brewed a batch on Aug 26.
Grain bill:
57% Pilsen malt
29% wheat malt
14% unmalted wheat
2 hr boil
Hops- 6 IBUs added at 60 min
To this I pitched a starter of WLP570 and JP Oro de Calabaza dregs. Then a day later the dregs from a Timmermans Oude Gueuze.
Well today, for reasons beyond my control, I had to transfer from primary to a glass carboy. So I took a sample to taste. I'm surprised how sour it is already. There's definitely a Brett presence but it is quite sour as well. I would compare it to the sourness of a DFH Festina Peche. Maybe a touch softer though. It's very good and very drinkable already so I can't wait to see how it progresses. I'm enjoying branching out into sours. Why did I wait so long to do this?

Long story short, Beer.

Quick Reply