Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > First attempted at "wild" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
MattTimBell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

> I don't know a lot about using bread yeast but I thought that Oldsock basically used it for the lacto.

Hmmn....a clarificatory question: I thought bread yeast (of the sort one would get from the grocery store) was just saccharomyces cerevisiae, except it was "bred" to produce more CO2, with little control over phenols and alchohol tolerance. How does it sour things? Or do some s. cerevisiae subspecies also produce lactic or other acids?

Or, Oldsock, when you mentioned bread yeast, were you speaking of something more like a sourdough starter? I've read that the hooch on that is mostly ethyl alchohol, and that the starter itself is a symbiotic colony of lactobacillus and s. cerevisiae.

Thanks again!

Last edited by MattTimBell; 11-04-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: I needed to clarify my question.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Almighty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

I got the info about the lacto from Oldsock's recent blog post,
"The sourness was provided by Lactobacillus resident in the dried bread yeast working unconstrained by hops."
http://www.themadfermentationist.com...ss-recipe.html

I have no experience with bread yeast in beer. Going back to the idea of trying too many new things in one batch, I would stick with a neutral yeast that you know makes good beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply