First attempt at a sour/wild ale
I'm looking to brew a wild/sour ale, in part, for my girlfriend as the only types of beers she likes are fruity and sour ales (I really love sours as well).
I was thinking of a Russian River Temptation style beer, but maybe a bit more fruit flavor (although I've only had Temptation "fresh", so I don't know how it changes with age).
I was going to go with a Blonde Ale (Partial Mash) recipe that I found and then have modified a bit:
Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 5.5 gal
Boil Size: 6.3 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 37.5 %
1.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 12.5 %
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 37.5 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 12.5 %
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (90 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50%] (30 min) Hops 9.4 IBU
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50%] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (Wyeast Labs #1214) Yeast-Ale
Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
Bitterness: 18.9 IBU
Est Color: 6.6 SRM
I planned to let this ferment for about 4-7 days in primary and then transfer to secondary and add the Brett and bugs.
I am considering a couple options, either using the dregs from a bottle of RR Temptation, or buying packages of Brett (not sure which one, maybe C?) and Lacto and Pedio and adding those to the secondary along with some oak chips at some point.
I'm looking for any and all suggestions as far as the "souring/funking" goes, as well as if there are any changes that I should make to the actual Blonde recipe.
All I can offer is some funk suggestions.
Buy new hoses, airlock/stopper(if you use them), and possibly fermenter depending on what you're using.
I consider myself a pretty anal cleaner/sanatizer but would never mix. The cost, is not worth ruining a batch of beer.
Also, if you are attempting to "clone" or get close to a RR beer. Shoot Vinnie an email he is very friendly to the homebrew community and from what i have heard is usually more then happy to help out.
A few years ago at NHC he even gave out oak chips innoculated with RR bugs to 200+ brewers who came to his lecture. He might even be willing to do that again(if you live close and are nice)
hope that helps some
I'm not really looking to brew a Temptation clone, per se. I was more just going for a similar style. I have found a clone recipe, which is not all that different from what I am doing. And I have also heard that he is very helpful and willing to share with homebrewers.
Unfortunately, I live in Southern California, but I am from the Bay Area. Perhaps when I go up north next time I'll try to contact him about the barrel pieces/oak chips.
I have a 6.5 glass carboy that I planned on doing the secondary fermentation/aging in. I was going to buy a new bucket for the primary because I need one anyway as the carboy is all that I have right now. I'll definitely grab some extra tubing and an airlock when I go about buying the goods for this brew.
Thanks a bunch for the help and all other suggestions are welcome.
Here's OldSock's clone recipe:
The Mad Fermentationist: Temptation Clone
You can PM him for more details, he's extremely generous on tips and his process.
I've talked to him before too, about his PtY clone recipe, and I've had good experience.
One thing that I am pretty sure I am going to do is to use the goodies from the bottom of a Temptation bottle to infect this beer. I was also thinking about purchasing more Brett C to get some more fruitiness, as it is noted for a pineapple character.
Do I just dump the dregs from the bottle into the carboy, or do I need to make a starter from that? I've heard a couple methods: using DME, using fruit juice, and using regular sugar. Any suggestions on that?
Just in case anyone is interested, here's what I've done:
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 42.9 %
2.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 32.1 %
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
0.25 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 14.3 %
Steep the grains at 155 for 45 minutes, boil for 60.
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 24.6 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast Labs #1762) -- Primary
1 Pkgs Brettanomyces claussenii (White Labs #WLP645) -- Secondary
After primary fermentation in my bucket for one week, I have racked to secondary (glass 6.5 gal carboy) and directly pitched the dregs from Russian River Temptation, Jolly Pumpkin La Roja, and New Belgium La Folie. I have also pitched a vial of Brettanomyces claussenii and will, at some point, add medium toast french oak. I will also add white peaches to part of the batch at some point.
Already have airlock activity within 15 minutes.
Looks like you added some really hardy dregs. Ryan has had great success with JP dregs, and I have an Oud Bruin that was primaried with Roselare and had La Folie dregs added. Sounds like it'll be great, just be extremely patient, give it at least 8-10 months.
Yeah, that's going to be the hardest part (by far).
I figured I would wait until about 8-9 months before adding the oak as I don't want this to be too woody. I'll probably also bottle half of the batch "plain" (without fruit) and then add the fruit to the remainder and let that sit for a few more months.
My "technique" is brew as many sours as possible so you don't have to stare at only one and bottle it early. Or, I would prefer Mike's in that you brew it at your parents house and leave it there.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 05:03 AM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.