New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Fig Lambic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
gregoreckbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For a few reasons, I needed to bottle this beer younger than one would normally bottle the lambic. It did spend over 6 months on the figs though.

2.5 Gallons straight Lambic
2.5 Gallons Lambic on 3lbs of frozen local figs

Processing the figs:
Tossed all the frozen figs in a pot and cooked them for a bit. Wasn't really paying much attention to temperature. Just mashed them up and got the sugars cooking.

There was very little if any color contribution from the figs. I think that the flavor of the fig lambic is far superior than the straight lambic. It is much more sour and has a nice tart, fruity flavor that is very nice although I certainly wouldn't guess figs if given a blind taste test. The figs also give a flavor that is like a subtle oak even though no oak was added. I tend to describe this as the Hurried Man's Gueuze. Not to suggest that it approaches some of the phenomenal commercial gueuzes, but the tartness of the figs certainly makes the fig lambic more comparable to a gueuze than the straight lambic I made.

As Revvy mentioned, the tiny seeds from the figs are not a big deal. Sometimes you will find one in your glass, but they will not disrupt the drinking process in any way.

Overall, I would highly recommend figs as a fruit for sours.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. The 'brain-mass' of figs floating on top of the carboy is quite appetizing. Particularly when it started to look like penicillin was on top of the fig mass.

Perhaps this is a result of me bottling the beer young, but the straight lambic which tasted fine in the secondary was awful until it had aged in the bottle for over a month. After that is was fine. But the bottle or two I tried in the first month was so funky-nasty that I could barely drink it. And I love sour/funky beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 AM   #12
dantheman13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 62

How sour was your lambic when you bottled it? Was it overly sour, not that sour, or just right for you?

I have a a blended lambic that has a fairly strong tartness and great cranberry/raspberry/orange thing going on. Very complex and delicious on it's own. I should have access to fresh figs this year, and I wanted to try 1 gallon of this sour beer on those figs, but am afraid that the beer might be too intense with the figs. I do have the option of blending the sour beer with a non-sour beer to get the tartness down, so I am wondering if I should do that. Any advice?

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply