Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Fermenting and Serving a Saison Brett

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Jonnio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Fermenting and Serving a Saison Brett

All, I have been dying to try and make a saison brett ever since I tried Boulevard's version of it, but I have one thing holding me back. Do I need a whole new setup to do this? I have a glass fermenter that I am assuming I can clean out, but what about siphons, kegs, beer lines, etc... Does a solid cleaning get the brett out or will it ruin my other beers if I reuse them?

Thanks

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
caiafa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brett is just another yeast. What kills normal yeast, also kills brett. Just sanitize everything with care and you'll be ok.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I agree. If your sanitation is great, I wouldn't worry about it. However, I do have an extra set of equipment for beers that have Lacto and Pedio in them.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I feel better with a separate set of equipment. Peace of mind that in the end costs about 40 bucks. Search the tales of cross contamination on this site, and I bet you'll feel the same way.

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 06-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's only partially the cost, but secondly having to store all the extra stuff and more importantly the pain of having to replace keg lines etc... If it turns into a new regular thing for me then I may go ahead and get a brett set together, but if I can be judicious on this one experiment then that's what I will probably do.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 06-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I don't bother changing out serving lines, I clean my kegs, taps, and tap lines regularly because they can build up some nasty stuff that will impact the flavor in the glass. If a few brett/pedio/lacto cells make it through cleaning and get into my glass the few minutes they interact with my beer before drinking will not be something that can be tasted. However, I do have a funk bucket for bottling, different tubes, and don't pitch the funk until the beer gets through primary and has been moved to a glass carboy for funkification.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:52 AM   #7
McKinley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio View Post
It's only partially the cost, but secondly having to store all the extra stuff and more importantly the pain of having to replace keg lines etc... If it turns into a new regular thing for me then I may go ahead and get a brett set together, but if I can be judicious on this one experiment then that's what I will probably do.
I have this concern as well. What I ended up doing is saving my "spent tubing" for sours. For example, I use a racking cane 5-6 times for non-soured beers. If it gets a little funky, I'll set it aside, use it once or twice for a sour beer and then throw it away. I use kegs for bottling, they sanitize pretty well.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:05 AM   #8
November
...relax...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinley View Post
I have this concern as well. What I ended up doing is saving my "spent tubing" for sours. For example, I use a racking cane 5-6 times for non-soured beers. If it gets a little funky, I'll set it aside, use it once or twice for a sour beer and then throw it away. I use kegs for bottling, they sanitize pretty well.
I just started my first all brett beer and this was the route I took. I waited till it was time to replace stuff and instead of tossing the kinda broke racking cane, older hoses, etc, I just made it my dedicated brett stuff. I am an ardent believer that if it came down to it, a weapons grade load of bleach would kill just about anything!

Old 06-05-2011, 04:22 AM   #9
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinley View Post
Wow; a new racking cane every 5-6 batches. I'm still using the plastic cane I bought 25 years ago. I replace the tubing about every 10 years.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:29 AM   #10
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

seriously.. 5-6 times for a racking cane? If you clean them after you use them they'll pretty much last forever.

Quick Reply