The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Feeding maltodextrin to sour bugs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
ChiefHophead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylit View Post
In the early stages of fermentation, there's plenty of sugars, which is why it's more useful later once the maltose has been been consumed.
If yeast can't eat maltose why would it matter? I think this would save a step and keep the bugs ever-busy until the all maltose was gone. Plus anytime you're going in, you risk introducing oxygen for acetobater, right?

Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their wives will allow.

-Scott DeWalt @ TexanBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 01:35 AM   #12
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Sacc eats maltose but not maltodextrin.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:52 AM   #13
ChiefHophead
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Right, that is my mistake. Otherwise all the maltose from my malt would be useless.

That should have read:

If yeast can't eat maltodextrin why would it matter? I think this would save a step and keep the bugs ever-busy until the all maltodextrin was gone. Plus anytime you're going in, you risk introducing oxygen for acetobater, right?

Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their wives will allow.

-Scott DeWalt @ TexanBrew

Old 01-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
Delaney
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefHophead View Post
Right, that is my mistake. Otherwise all the maltose from my malt would be useless.

That should have read:

If yeast can't eat maltodextrin why would it matter? I think this would save a step and keep the bugs ever-busy until the all maltodextrin was gone. Plus anytime you're going in, you risk introducing oxygen for acetobater, right?
I am interested to know the answer to this question as well...Personally I believe in your logic and don't understand why adding it at a later time is more beneficial than adding it during the boil..

Old 01-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #15
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
I am interested to know the answer to this question as well...Personally I believe in your logic and don't understand why adding it at a later time is more beneficial than adding it during the boil..
Adding maltodextrin at a later time is used in my brewery to make a sour beer more "interesting" after a sample's taste/aroma isn't to my liking.

I also add it in the boil for my extract lambics, but that's because I know I'll need it.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 03-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #16
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Cool Beans. So adding Maltodextrin late in fermentation works. No longer do I need to worry about whether or not I mashed high enough for those non-fermentables to be present!

Quick Reply