New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Fast sour brown ale




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
rexbanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 1,372
Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default Fast sour brown ale

So a helpful brewer told me about the fast sour technique recently. You know, the method where you mash and divide the wort in half. Then you boil and ferment one half as normal, and take the other half and add lacto, let sit, and afterwards boil and ferment as normal. Then blend.

My plan is to make a beer like this:

10 lbs pils
1 lb caramunich
.5 lb aromatic
.5 lb special b
15 ibu ekg

I'd like to use all brett to ferment it, was thinking of brett b. I love brett, the more medicinal taste the better. Sound good? Any suggestions? I'd like to ferment on raspberries as well after primary.



__________________

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

rexbanner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
smokinghole
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
smokinghole's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lucid Dream Land
Posts: 2,784
Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Are you planning on inoculating with a pure lacto culture or doing the crushed raw grain roulette game?

I only ask because I just did this with a wit. The pure culture went nuts for 2 days and began producing seriously raunchy fart odors. I had to run the fermentation exhaust through an gas mask canister to scrub the odors. I have since added yeast (with out boiling) and it is starting to dissipate. I think it was a hardcore diacetyl production from the bacteria. I might have to give it a quick boil before blending but we'll see since I already added yeast. I am sort of doing this as a loose experiment of the Lacambre method of brewing wit.



__________________

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

smokinghole is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
rexbanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 1,372
Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
Are you planning on inoculating with a pure lacto culture or doing the crushed raw grain roulette game?

I only ask because I just did this with a wit. The pure culture went nuts for 2 days and began producing seriously raunchy fart odors. I had to run the fermentation exhaust through an gas mask canister to scrub the odors. I have since added yeast (with out boiling) and it is starting to dissipate. I think it was a hardcore diacetyl production from the bacteria. I might have to give it a quick boil before blending but we'll see since I already added yeast. I am sort of doing this as a loose experiment of the Lacambre method of brewing wit.
I am planning on using the pure culture. I'm going to be brewing this in a few hours so hopefully you'll see this before then.

I was under the impression that boiling and fermentation would scrub any nasty flavors/odors produced by the lacto. Also, does lacto release any type of gas? I thought it didn't. I don't want to annoy my roommates.
__________________

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

rexbanner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Homebrewtastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,044
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner

I am planning on using the pure culture. I'm going to be brewing this in a few hours so hopefully you'll see this before then.

I was under the impression that boiling and fermentation would scrub any nasty flavors/odors produced by the lacto. Also, does lacto release any type of gas? I thought it didn't. I don't want to annoy my roommates.
Lacto produces CO2.
__________________
On Deck:
Primary: Lambic-ish
Kegged: Das Funken Weisse, Un Poquito Wylde
Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog
Homebrewtastic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
redbone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 69
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
Lacto produces CO2.
Only heterofermentative strains produce co2
__________________
redbone is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
rexbanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 1,372
Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default

FYI, I've made this beer several times and it's actually probably my favorite beer I've ever tasted. It's just kind of a bitch to make. I also have tried adding different kinds of fruit, all to good effect. Instead of buying lacto I just throw in some uncrushed grain and have gotten even better results.

The recipe is more like this:

8 lbs pils
2 lbs munic
1 lb caramunich
.5 aromatic
.5 special b

__________________

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

rexbanner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: houston
Posts: 1,296
Liked 74 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

If you want to make it easier, you can mash, boil and pitch the grain into the whole wort. When it's soured long enough for your tastes, bring the whole thing up to 170F (or boil if you like, lactic acid boils at 251F), then cool and add yeast. Sometimes I skip the second boil, as most lacto strains won't eat some of the bigger sugars that sacch will. As you said, simple sour browns are delicious with fruit.

__________________

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

kingwood-kid is offline
rexbanner Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 03:10 AM   #8
sockmerchant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 225
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

I made something quite similar recently.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/quick-ish-flanders-400363/

I ended up using a combination of the sour wort and clean culture methods. I pitched wyeast brett lambicus.

Its still fermenting, and has been one of the most vigorous fermentations i have had. Its clogged my blow off tube several times.

Its moderately tart after just a few days and quite funky already. I look forward to seeing what it ends up like in a month or so.

Ideally I would rack some of it on cherries, but it would have to be frozen cherries at this stage as they are well out of season over here.

Its definitely looking promising at this stage

__________________
www.mistakebrewing.com
Primary: DIPA, Quick Flanders, RIS, Flanders Red, Oud Bruin x 2, Fijoa Gose
Keg: Gose, Amber/APA
Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison
sockmerchant is offline
rexbanner Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
rexbanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 1,372
Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmerchant View Post
I made something quite similar recently.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/quick-ish-flanders-400363/

I ended up using a combination of the sour wort and clean culture methods. I pitched wyeast brett lambicus.

Its still fermenting, and has been one of the most vigorous fermentations i have had. Its clogged my blow off tube several times.

Its moderately tart after just a few days and quite funky already. I look forward to seeing what it ends up like in a month or so.

Ideally I would rack some of it on cherries, but it would have to be frozen cherries at this stage as they are well out of season over here.

Its definitely looking promising at this stage
Looking at your bottled list makes me happy.

As many people need to try making these beers as possible. I remember when I tried one, which was also my first sour beer ever, I thought "well gee anyone would like this beer, it's just great." I have brought out bottles at beer tastings and they've been huge hits, especially among non-beer drinkers and wine drinkers. I plan on doing a version of this at my nano soon.
__________________

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

rexbanner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
sockmerchant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 225
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Yeah I'm just a little addicted to Belgian beer. I like have a big selection of Belgians on hand. Love making them

My most recent obsession is sour beer. Over the past couple months I have brewed 35 gallons of sour and wild beer.

This quick sour idea occurred to me a month or so ago. As with many great ideas, turns out someone has thought about it before me

So far it looking promising. The Brett L is getting very nice and funky. Also easily one of my most crazy fermentationalist. Had krausen fill my bucket to the lid for 4 days now. I've top cropped the yeast a couple of times now for the next one



__________________
www.mistakebrewing.com
Primary: DIPA, Quick Flanders, RIS, Flanders Red, Oud Bruin x 2, Fijoa Gose
Keg: Gose, Amber/APA
Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison
sockmerchant is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Munich dunkel turned into a sour brown jolopez1026 Lambic & Wild Brewing 3 03-22-2012 12:45 AM
Sour Brown via a sour mash Danam404 Lambic & Wild Brewing 5 03-03-2012 01:59 PM
I want to brew a generic sour brown oaky beer spm1327 Lambic & Wild Brewing 5 03-16-2011 03:07 PM
Bottled Sour Brown BenS Lambic & Wild Brewing 5 02-04-2011 02:06 PM
Brown to Sour warriorpoet Lambic & Wild Brewing 6 11-24-2010 11:02 PM