Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > ECY20 Bug Country recipe ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 244 Posts

Default ECY20 Bug Country recipe ideas

I recently acquired a vial of ECY20 and was working on a recipe to get it used this weekend. I was considering using something similar to the Consecration grain bill, but figured I would see if anyone else had any recommendation based on past experience.

A few more specific questions I have:
-I plan to pitch it into primary, with no other yeast. Is this the way everyone else is using it (I like SOUR, so thats no big deal to me, the more the merrier)
-Mash around 156-158?
-how long before this blend starts to sour up?
-how long to leave the beer on the yeast cake?

thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've done both a high gravity oud bruin beer with ECY20, a lambic, and a saison. I think the lambic and saison are my favorites so far with the blend. I mashed the saison like I would any saison just fermented with ECY20. It was/is a great sour beer with in 8 months from brew day to drinking. Then the oud bruin took about 10 months to ferment out that's bottled but has a bitterness from me using purple corn. So the oud bruin will be sitting at least a year in the bottles before I taste another one. Then the Lambic will be going into bottles soon and that was brewed a year ago. It's fantastically sour and complex at this point.

I used this as the only yeast pitched into the wort.

I mashed each beer at the appropriate mash schedules for each style of beer not taking into account the yeast strain getting special attention.

It starts souring fairly fast, 2-3 months.

Depends on the beer. The oud bruin I took it off the yeast cake after three months or so. The lambic is on the yeast cake, and the saison was a "quick" ferment at 4-5 months and it was on the yeast the whole time.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks got the input. Much appreciated.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just did the tart of darkness recipe a few days ago so sorry can't provide much detail for a while. Searching around on Google the only info I could really find were the threads snokinghole posted so there doesn't seem to be much info out there. With all those different strains in there it must make a pretty complex beer.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I made a second runnings sour beer from a Kolsch using ECY20, 70% Pils 30% Wheat 1.026 boosted with 1lb of DME for a 2.5 gallon batch, and left it on the cake for ~6 months. I just tried the first bottle about a month ago and its wonderfully complex and sour really alot more complex than I had expected since this was a beer I brewed on a whim only bc I felt the culture needed to be woken up a bit.

I brewed a table Saison about 4 months ago with the second generation of ECY20 and it has been sitting on the cake the entire time. I have been planning on taking a reading and bottling it soon. Maybe this will be the kick in the butt I need.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:02 AM   #6
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2205 Times on 1493 Posts
Likes Given: 2240

I've got a small hoard going, passed two on to a friend and have three to pitch. Will brew something with ECY20 tomorrow. Hard to remember it's called Bug County with no 'R', wonder if it's an inside joke.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 01-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtejedor View Post
I just did the tart of darkness recipe a few days ago so sorry can't provide much detail for a while. Searching around on Google the only info I could really find were the threads snokinghole posted so there doesn't seem to be much info out there. With all those different strains in there it must make a pretty complex beer.
How long did it take for you to get active fermentation (assuming that was the only yeast pitched)?

Old 01-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2205 Times on 1493 Posts
Likes Given: 2240

I brewed my first beer with this blend last night. Pitched about 13 hrs ago. Just dumped the vial in, no aeartion or stirring. The top gallon is much lighter in color than the rest of the beer. I can see some yest sediment on the bulge in the better bottle where it tends to hang out. No bubbling or other visual activity yet.

ECY 20 smells great. Maybe it was just the New Year's beers, but the smell of the empty vial took me straight back to drinking Cantillion at the brewery, watching the world cup on the small TV there. Gives me high hopes for this blend.

Joe from the homebrew shop told me at least a year. He said it would seem good before then, but to wait it out.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 01-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #9
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I hit my wort with Oxygen and pitched about 24 hours ago and still no signs of fermentation. Not worried yet, just wondered if this was typical for this yeast.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #10
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
How long did it take for you to get active fermentation (assuming that was the only yeast pitched)?
Around 3 days before I started seeing patches on the surface of the wort. A few days after that it bcme a real tick pellicle. I had to move it out of the tub and it splashed around a bit but the pellicle looked unfazed.

Quick Reply