BrewHardware Giveaway- Winners Drawn - 24 hours to claim!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > ECY wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 03:57 AM   #31
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 145

All I can offer up is a sample of League City, TX wild yeast mixed with some Jolly Pumpkin dregs and some Bockor Oud Bruin dregs. It's not much, and can't say it's amazing, but I'm willing to trade some for some ECY if possible.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/12/29
Untappd: barrooze

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #32
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Ok so I bottled the batch I had on the Bugfarm cake last night ans washed about 9-11 vials. It was actually kind of a pain in the ass to pour into each vial so I cant promise its the cleanest wash but there are certainly some good bugs in there. They are all currently sitting in my keezer, Im curious to see how it settles.

Id like to keep 2-3 vials for myself so the rest is up for grabs. Is anyone concerned about the viability of the sacc strain after sitting on the cake for ~7 months? Or am I being paranoid? Regardless, there are tons of good bugs in these vials to inoculate you beer.

Anyway, here are the people who were interested in a vial of ECY01, and the trade offers so far.

ChadChaney (you offered some homebrew in the trade, that works for me)
barrooze (not so interested in the blend you spoke of, you could just paypal me the shipping cost and I'll get it out to you)
phished880 (Allagash Strain, that sounds awesome)
Feurhund (Schneider-weisse Strain, sounds like a deal)
skeezerpleezer (Im not sure what we had decided on)
RJSkypala (bretted saison blend, sounds like a deal)

Ive not bottled the beer on the ECY03, so if youre interested in both maybe we want to wait to ship.

It might be easier if you guys emailed me since my PM box will fil up super fast. My email is coffey.ed at gmail, just let me know what your HBT handle is in the email so I can keep track.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #33
levifunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I thought I read that reusing yeast blends such as ECY01 would lead to a increasingly lacto dominate fermentation? I'm talking out of my ass here, but I assume someone here would know better and I'm interested in what it means to reuse saccro/brett/lacto/pedio yeast blends. Maybe something to ask Al Buck?

Old 07-12-2012, 04:57 AM   #34
ChadChaney
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Coff,

I will email you and we can set something up!

As for the last post about lacto dominate fermentation, here is the response I got from Al @ ECY today via email..

As for re-using blended sour mixes, there is no one answer. This is mostly due to the aging process and when a sample of sediment is pulled. I would recommend pulling out some sediment early on , say , a couple of weeks into the initial pitch so that most organisms are captured and in relative populations. This will change over generations. Most importantly, As long as you have Brett, any diacetyl produced from lacto and pedio will be absorbed, for example. Hope that helps.

SO, not definitive answer..

Old 07-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #35
Keyes88
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadChaney
Hey Coff, thanks for remembering me! I am super pumped to get my hands on some Bugfarm! I just pulled a nice vial of ECY Kolsch off a starter yesterday if you are interetsed, I will share that, or I have some Nice homebrews (RIS w choc, ancho chile, and oak- sasion (Dupont strain) or some really nice commercial brews; Bells Java or Expedition stout, 2 yr old Sofie, Bourbon county stout, etc. Let me know what you would like.

As for anyone else, I am looking to try as many ECY as I can, I have the Belgian White and the Kolsch and am willing to trade if you have some you want to swap, thanks all!
How was the Kölsch yeast for you? I wasnt a fan of the results. I did like the Newark lager strain which I used on a Kentucky Common that's awesome.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #36
ChadChaney
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Still fermenting, used it for a Cream Ale that I am going to rack into 4 separate 1 gallon batches each w a different fruit. I plan on leaving 1 gallon as a test bach, no fruit, so we will see, also the first batch using 6 row, should be interesting! I'll post back w results.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #37
Coff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyes88 View Post
How was the Kölsch yeast for you? I wasnt a fan of the results. I did like the Newark lager strain which I used on a Kentucky Common that's awesome.
What didnt you like about it. I make a blonde ale about once a month that I like to keep on tap which I always use WLP029 on and the most recent one I used ECY21. At kegging I thought it was quite good, super dry though, even more dry then normal.

I have a Citra Smash on ECY12, honestly though I kind of goofed bc I could have sworn I had ECY10 and didnt realize this was a psuedo lager strain. I kept the first 5 days of fermentation cold, about 62f then warmed it up for the final 10 days to 70f. Is that a little too warm for that strain?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #38
Coff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadChaney View Post
Coff,

I will email you and we can set something up!

As for the last post about lacto dominate fermentation, here is the response I got from Al @ ECY today via email..

As for re-using blended sour mixes, there is no one answer. This is mostly due to the aging process and when a sample of sediment is pulled. I would recommend pulling out some sediment early on , say , a couple of weeks into the initial pitch so that most organisms are captured and in relative populations. This will change over generations. Most importantly, As long as you have Brett, any diacetyl produced from lacto and pedio will be absorbed, for example. Hope that helps.

SO, not definitive answer..
Right, I was kind of concerned about all of this as well but I dont think I will be using my washed vials as a primary strain going forward for various reasons. Im concerned about the number of viable Sacch cells left in there like some of you are so Im thinking I will just use it as a post primary souring strain. Primary with a Saison strain or maybe Abbey Ale yeast like Vinnie does, then pitch the Bugfarm in secondary. Or Abbey Ale for primary, pitch a brett strain then the Bugfarm a few weeks later so the Brett can work then the pedio lacto in the blend can do their work.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #39
Keyes88
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

With the kölsch I either infected the beer or I have an off batch of the yeast. It was visually very hazy even after a long cold crash. The smell was very neutral with a slight amount of funk. Taste was great up front, lemon grass but then this off flavor of sour nails you. I had to ditch the batch. I gave it 3 weeks primary, then a month untapped on my keg to clear up. Nothing. I'm going to change my recipe and redo it with that yeast.

I also pulled the move where I thought I had the ale strain but turned out to be the lager. I cleared my keggerator and put the carboy in asap. Kept it at low 50s for a week, then pulled it out and let it warm up for a week to 65. That was a very interesting fermentation to watch.

As fit letting it warm up to 70 you should be fine with that cold start. Just maybe try to lager it for 2-3 weeks. I got awesome clarity from it and a nice crisp taste.

How many of you guys are in the NJ area? I'd love to get together and taste some of the beers using the yeast.

Quick Reply