The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > EBY/BBA Brettanomyces Experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2014, 02:44 AM   #181
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewbien View Post
I didn't notice any of that. I finally pitched all of mine last night and the only weirdness was that I got no activity from 001 and some mold on 038. I thought the slime/sickness was from pedio, didn't know brett produced that.

EDIT: Just read the the thread and realized you were generalizing and not talking specifically about this project, sorry.
Actually, I think that thread is related - he pitched all 20 strains into a 50 gallon batch. Then again my brain sometimes thinks its 66 instead of 33, so I could be mistaken.

Speaking of, I bottled all 20 strains last weekend. I got 5-6 bottles per batch -17 bottled without sugar and will be tested at a buddies house this Saturday (taste, gravity, etc.). The rest are ready and waiting for the test cycles.

For those of you who noticed the math error, that leaves 3. Like a genius, I put sugar in those PRIOR to trying hydro or tasting. Dumb.

I'll see if we can use his scope rig on the sample dregs as well, but that may have to wait until next time.

For those of you who haven't gotten to bottling yet, plan for a few hours. It takes a while to sanitize everything, fill bottle set, capture the slurry (if you're doing that) close everything up, and move to the next one. This is especially true if you did 20.

I used a mini auto siphon, a gallon jug of fresh sanitizer, and copper tun carb drops.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #182
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 80 Posts

Correct. This is about THESE yeasts, they were all pitched into my barrel (and even some of them when pitching to the original batches were somewhat slimy)

I wonder though if any of the samples (since some were dregs from commercially produced sours) had pedio in them? Just a thought, since mine occurred before pitching to barrel.

I'll probably bottle in the spring.

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #183
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just put my "at bottling" results in to the EBY google form on Saturday. Was very interesting, but it took a long time to do. I definitely recommend doing it with friends if you have a large number of samples.

Also recommend not taking the capping month 1 sample approach that I described unless you're going to do sampling within 24-48 hours. My results indicate some of these are slow fermenters, and they didn't attenuate as well as others. Clearly they're still going though, because those are the bottles that carbonated.

Flattening a sample is a pain.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 01-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #184
Roy2Ventullo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Some images from BBA/EBY Brett Experiment: 1/2 gallon fermenters, tasting and bottling the 20 Bretts. Followed recipe as statedper experiment. Did tasting with 4 friends but my bad, have not yet posted results (darn day job). We are 5 weeks post bottling and think of doing round 2 soon.

Microdoc

6-fermenters-before-bottling-text.jpg   bretts-001-011-bottled-text.jpg   010-011-compared-close-up-text.jpg   20131230_163248.jpg  

Microprof

dantheman13 Likes This 
Old 01-31-2014, 10:46 PM   #185
Brewbien
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Bottling today.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #186
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy2Ventullo View Post
Some images from BBA/EBY Brett Experiment: 1/2 gallon fermenters, tasting and bottling the 20 Bretts. Followed recipe as statedper experiment. Did tasting with 4 friends but my bad, have not yet posted results (darn day job). We are 5 weeks post bottling and think of doing round 2 soon.

Microdoc
Thanks for sharing. Looks like your 11 still had a lot of suspended yeast, while 10 had mostly settled out.

Quick Reply