Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > EBY/BBA Brettanomyces Experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #131
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

With my malt profiles, the recipe calculates out to 4.6 SRM in color. The official recipe has it at "around 10." I looked and saw that my malts are all lighter in color:
Pilsner (French): 2.0 SRM
Wheat (White): 2.4 SRM
Munich: 10 SRM
Acid Malt: 3.0 SRM

I'm not sure if Jeff intended for a specific wheat malt or Munich producer to be used, but this is what I believe I'm going with.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #132
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Final got to pitch my eby 12 and
Eby 17. Both are bubbling away. Nice Krausen on top. Looking forward to tasting these.

My hop stopper

Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #133
kerosin
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocluke View Post
With my malt profiles, the recipe calculates out to 4.6 SRM in color. The official recipe has it at "around 10." I looked and saw that my malts are all lighter in color:
Pilsner (French): 2.0 SRM
Wheat (White): 2.4 SRM
Munich: 10 SRM
Acid Malt: 3.0 SRM

I'm not sure if Jeff intended for a specific wheat malt or Munich producer to be used, but this is what I believe I'm going with.
The calculated color of the beer is around 10 EBC which is equal to about 5 SRM. We in Europe use EBC rather than SRM. To get from EBC to SRM you simply divide the EBC value by 1.97 to get the SRM value. You should be fine with your malts then.

Cheers, Sam

Old 10-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #134
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 85 Posts

Brewed and pitched today. A few of them turned out to be rather gelatinous when I was pouring the starter in (and tasting with leftover decanted wort). Oddly slimy. Got tired of tasting after 12 samples.
Starting with 1/2 gallon batches, then bigger batches/barrels with combos of the best ones.

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Don't like ads on the net? Make sure you have Adblock!

Roy2Ventullo Likes This 
Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #135
lcat45
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If anyone has any any dregs from Russian River Temptations I would love to buy a pinch from you....thanks

All my 9 are building up nicely and hope to brew next week....two at most and get mine cooking in hopes for some great beers out of this very neat experiment.....THANKS Sam

Old 10-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #136
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2201 Times on 1491 Posts
Likes Given: 2238

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcat45
If anyone has any any dregs from Russian River Temptations I would love to buy a pinch from you....thanks All my 9 are building up nicely and hope to brew next week....two at most and get mine cooking in hopes for some great beers out of this very neat experiment.....THANKS Sam
You can find Russian River beers online pretty easily, though Temptation is a little harder to find than the rest (other than Beat).

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 10-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #137
Roy2Ventullo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

BBA/EBY Experiment. All twenty 200 ml starters are ready after 5-6 days on shaker (see image). Yeast counts varied from 17-26 billion cells. Cold crashed the yeast and added ~25 ml slurry to each 1/2 gallon fermenter. # 21 and 39 started up after 12 hours.

brett-flasks-small.jpg  

Microprof

Old 10-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #138
lcat45
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks TNGabe for the reply....yes you're right about it being out there only problem is in my search no one has any or they don't mail it so bout like not being out there, that's why I ask .....oh well appreciate the reply

Old 10-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #139
berebrando
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

I pitched all 19 of my strains into 1/2 +/- gallon wort yesterday afternoon. (1 vial did not survive the trip, but was replaced by a wlp575 I have on hand as a sort of control.)

Eby038 was the first to take off in the 200ml starters and was the only one bubbling this morning in the 1/2 gallon batch.

I took a wiff of the starters prior to pitching and recorded notes which I will combine with my final tasting notes. In my experience, the sniff test is not very indicative of the final product. But, with that said, two starters has noticeable acidic aromas - which is something I look for in Brett. There was a lot of tropical fruit, barnyard, soil/earth, etc but the two with acidity stood out.

I am also monitoring when cultures visibly start fermenting (bubbles, krausen, etc). I will continue taking notes and compile a comprehensive report at the close of this project.

I'm happy to see that some folks are taking the more scientific approach with cell counts etc.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #140
Roy2Ventullo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Some cultures are slow

At 48 hours post pitching at 68 F into 1/2 gallon and several of the cultures have not really started moving the water in the air

I am new to using Brett as a primary yeast. Is this normal ? Are there slow starters? I did cold crash the yeast and wonder if they went dormant (I have done this before with my Saccharomyces starters and has no problems.)

Any response would be appreciated....

Microprof

Quick Reply