Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Easy Way to Make Sour Beers (1 gal wort + dregs)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 01:45 AM   #31
MatthewHall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The only description that I've found is:
“ale brewed with Saccharomyces cerevisae and Brettanomyces. Transferred to oak foudre after initial fermentation. Foundre has previously gone through a spontaneous fermentation.”

So we'll see where that takes me. Any reason to believe that I should do anything different because I had a little sacc in there? The bugs/brett should still be able to work on the small amount of sugar left right? I'll question more when the time comes. patience patience patience. haha.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #32
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

It is probably good that there is some Sacc yeast in there. Depending on the viability it will help you get fermentation faster to prevent off flavors. And you will get plenty of contribution from Brett and the other "spontaneous" bugs. Even in super dry Saisons when Brett is added it will make a substantial difference over time.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #33
stevehollx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
It is probably good that there is some Sacc yeast in there. Depending on the viability it will help you get fermentation faster to prevent off flavors. And you will get plenty of contribution from Brett and the other "spontaneous" bugs. Even in super dry Saisons when Brett is added it will make a substantial difference over time.
Brett produces more off flavors in the presence of Sacc, since it competes with Sacc and stresses the Brett.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #34
Almighty
Recipes 

I have a few comments:
1. By off flavors I was referring to flavors that can be produced before yeast becomes the dominant organism. During the lag period some nasty flavors can be produced by airborne bacterias and molds.
2. I don't think the flavors produced by Brett are considered "off-flavors"
3. Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 AM   #35
Rolly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think I'm gonna start doing this with every batch I do, only after primary with just a clean ale yeast. With small kids, I can only find time to brew once per month, so its hard to justify having a whole brewday for 5 gallons of funky beer that may not even turn out. If I just rack 4 gallons of each batch into my keg, and one gallon into a jug, I'll have a whole sour pipeline before I even know it.

If I dump in the bottle dregs after primary is complete, would you say the dregs from one bottle of say, Jolly Pumpkin, would be enough to brett & sour a one gallon batch that had a post-primary FG of around 1.012?

Thanks for the idea!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #36
phished880
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Rolly:
I've found, with adding at bottling, which could be considered similar. It will funkify and slightly sour a 1.012 beer. I took a FG of a brown ale from 1.014 to 1.004 and enjoyed the results.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #37
Almighty
Recipes 

Rolly you are in the same position as I am. I only brew once a month, but wanted a way to experiment with sour beers. My sour pipeline has started and it is really great to have a gallon of sour beer a month. It is just enough to bottle about 9 - 12 oz bottles. So this allows you to try these beers over time. Just be careful with hoarding, which I'm getting to that point right now. You find yourself saying this beer just has the chance to be so much better in a few months or a year.

One thing to think about is that a lot of these dregs do have a good amount of Sacc yeast and should ferment just fine on their own. I recently have been making 4 - 6 oz of starter wort to dump into the bottle to get the dregs going before they are dumped into the 1 gal jug (Flame the lip). For example, Jolly Pumpkin dregs have WLP530 yeast and were active in 24 hrs. Also I have found using non-neutral yeast like Belgian yeast gives far more complexity to sour beers. It has to do with the esters and acids changing over time.

If you add the dregs after primary fermentation you will have a more difficult time getting sourness. You will probably get enough funk over time, but not much more than a mild sourness. You can add fruit or maltodextrin to feed the bugs to produce more sourness.

This blog article by ryane is very helpful for producing good sour beers. And you will have several batches so blending is a real possibility and has made my sour beer much better.
http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2011/03/blending-and-fruiting-lambics-my.html

Old 10-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #38
ashmgee
Recipes 

so I have about a gallon of wort that I brewed (very low ibu) and not real strong (maybe an expected 4%)

I just bought a bottle of Don-De-Dieu that is on lees. Can I pitch this into the batch. and not pitch any yeast? I left a little room for extra pitchings down the road.

complete newb to this process, but it seems interesting.

What beers work for this type of experiment. I wrote down some of the ones listed in this thread, but am not sure if I have access to those.
thanks in advance

Old 10-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #39
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmgee View Post
so I have about a gallon of wort that I brewed (very low ibu) and not real strong (maybe an expected 4%)

I just bought a bottle of Don-De-Dieu that is on lees. Can I pitch this into the batch. and not pitch any yeast? I left a little room for extra pitchings down the road.

complete newb to this process, but it seems interesting.

What beers work for this type of experiment. I wrote down some of the ones listed in this thread, but am not sure if I have access to those.
thanks in advance
I could be wrong as Ive never tried the beer, but I dont think don de dieu is a sour, its a golden strong, so while you could reuse the yeast it wont be sour or funky

Old 10-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #40
GiraffeBrew
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have had Don De Dieu. Good beer. NOT sour.

Long legs means more room for beer!

Life is a Journey through bottles, one day you wake up and realize it's on tap.

Quick Reply