The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Easy Way to Make Sour Beers (1 gal wort + dregs)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #201
jtakacs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdecinces View Post
I tried searching for an answer to this question, but couldn't find it; so I'm going to throw it out there:

Has anyone had success pitching the dregs of a 1 gallon experiment into a five gallon batch? It seems like this would be a great money-saving option; especially if you have some unique strains you really want to use.
my house bug culture is stepped up dregs from single gallons that have been stepped up for five gallon batches.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #202
levifunk
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 39

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3puwl2/

Old 07-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #203
dantheman13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman13 View Post
Here is my brewday. I used dregs from a bottle of Russian River Temptation and a bottle of Cascade Brewing Kriek. A third used a mixture of Temptation and Cascade Brewing Sang Royal dregs. We'll see how the extract comes out. I'll post more videos as the beer progresses.

Homebrew Wednesday #5 - Sour Beer Experiment - YouTube
Here is an update on my sour experiment. One question, can anyone explain why the one beer is so much darker than the other two? These are all from the same wort. What the heck happened???

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Old 07-12-2012, 05:14 AM   #204
Spring_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman13

Here is an update on my sour experiment. One question, can anyone explain why the one beer is so much darker than the other two? These are all from the same wort. What the heck happened???

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfPo_y2QZag&feature=plcp
I can't explain it, but I've seen it with all the beers I've done this way. Each is it's own color. Always try it before passing judgment.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #205
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

dantheman - That is pretty strange. There is usually a slight difference in color just based on yeast flocculation, but that is extreme. I have never seen anything like that. I do know the more oxidation the darker the color. And it looks like you have a dry airlock there. So oxidation could be the reason for the color difference, I just didn't think it would be that extreme. You can confirm if you have oxidation by tasting - any acetic acid (vinegar)?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #206
dantheman13

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
dantheman - That is pretty strange. There is usually a slight difference in color just based on yeast flocculation, but that is extreme. I have never seen anything like that. I do know the more oxidation the darker the color. And it looks like you have a dry airlock there. So oxidation could be the reason for the color difference, I just didn't think it would be that extreme. You can confirm if you have oxidation by tasting - any acetic acid (vinegar)?
Thanks, Almighty. The airlock wasn't totally dry, there was still a seal on it. I left out a potentially important detail in the video. I inoculated this one with dregs from a Cascade Kriek bottle, but it didn't have any activity for a good month. I decided to put some US05 in there, which caused an explosion of a fermentation... which I forgot to check on and made that mess in the airlock. It's been sitting like that for about 5 months. I suppose oxidation is possible, but I don't think that it is the cause. I haven't been brave enough to taste yet, but I suppose that will be something to do for next Homebrew Wednesday! I will definitely report back the tasting results in hopes you or someone else has an idea what caused this darkening.

Thanks again, Almighty, I really appreciate your responses here.

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Old 07-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #207
dantheman13

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring_Chicken View Post
I can't explain it, but I've seen it with all the beers I've done this way. Each is it's own color. Always try it before passing judgment.
You've seen them get this dark? The wort was a light orange color, around 9 SRM (as you can see in the brewing video).

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Old 07-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #208
Spring_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I had straight 2-row come out about halfway to that color. I DID intentionally let the airlock dry out on that gallon for a little vinegar character because I was trying to clone Duchesse and was trying to see if that helped. I've only done about 10 of these and each has been its own color. Some light, some orange, some brown. Fun to see the differences since I always use 2-row at 3 IBU at 1.040.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:34 AM   #209
dantheman13

Recipes 

I just did a tasting, I'll throw up a video on it next week. Quick question for now though, do you rack your sour beers and when? I didn't rack any of these and they are still in primary. I really don't want to disturb the batch that has a pellicle. Any general advice on racking to secondary and/or leaving in primary only? Thanks!

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Old 07-13-2012, 04:05 AM   #210
Spring_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I try to rack after the 'primary fermentation' is done. I did just rack a BW a week ago and the pellicle is back already and there can't be much left to eat in there.

Quick Reply