Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Easy Way to Make Sour Beers (1 gal wort + dregs)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
Almighty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

I really like the idea of having a second runnings solera. Because the big problem with extracting the last runnings is the tannins you may get from the grains. With a sour beer that will be aged a while I can't see it being an issue. It may need to boiled down a bit, which is a little extra effort.

Also with adding all the dregs, you don't worry about one bad batch ruining your entire solera. I have read about bad experiences with some dregs so I try to limit them to 1 gal until they are somewhat proven.

Sounds like you have a nice rotation going there. That's sort of my plan, have each gallon going a year. Then bottle and add new wort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
Almighty
Recipes 

Default Avery 15 or Drie Fouteinen Brett

Here is my most recent use of dregs in some extra wort (planned). This wort was chilled normally than transferred to a .5 gal jug.
I pitched a small amount of yeast that a friend had cultured from a bottle of Avery 15 which is the 2 Brett strains from Drie Fonteinen gueuze. You can read a lot more about these 2 strains on the Brettanmyces Project Site (specific links on my blog)

http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...rie-brett.html

Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 AM   #13
Almighty
Recipes 

Default Update

I had some free time and I have received a good number of requests to post an update. I usually wait till at least 6 months before trying but a few of these are less than that.

Summer Solstice Cousin w Oud Beersel and Cantillion dregs
Taste and Aroma are mild cherry. Still very clean, hopefully new dregs will help. The color is great. I will add more tart cherries in a few months.
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...mer-kriek.html

California Common wort with Bavic Petrus dregs
Gravity 1.006
Sorta strange taste on this one - has some fruit flavors, a bit of funk, bit of sourness but the 1/2 gallon of California Common added too much bitterness. I need to decide where to go with this one. Maybe let it sour up a bit more then dry hop. That bitterness should keep fading.

http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...le-common.html

Black California Common with Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire dregs

Gravity 1.010
HUGE sour, it was in your face and I love it, I touch more acetic than I'd like and I think that may be due to the amount of head space. This will probably get blended but I will see where it is in another 3 months.

http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...olly-sour.html

Belgian Singel with Allagash Confluence dregs
Gravity - .099 - Well the Brett is coming to play. It is starting to have a nice aroma but the flavor is still much to be desired. I just found some Muscat grape juice from a local vineyard. I added the whole 750 mL. And I am getting very excited about the possibilities. Check again in another 3 months.
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...ngle-sour.html

Belgium Dubbel wort with Lost Abbey Judgement dregs
Gravity 1.007

Has some funk on the nose and still some nice Belgian Dubbel taste. It does have a good amount of alcohol warmth. May blend with red wine when I bottle.
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...ey-dubbel.html

Golden Strong with Russian River Consecration dregs

Gravity 1.004
Has some nice Belgium phenols, a slight funk and tart smell. Still needs a more time and maybe a feeding ( I'm thinking some fruit (I have some persimmons that were frozen fresh))

http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...lden-sour.html

Old Ale with Avery 15 Brett

Gravity at 1.020 (that is 7.2% ABV, and 73% Apparent Attenuation)
The taste is fantastically sour. This beer tastes like a year old beer. It is not quite as complex as I want it and the malt flavor is hidden a bit behind all the sour fruity notes. Has a nice mouthfeel and is not too sweet. But easily one of the better sours I've had and only after a month!

http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...-15-brett.html

More photos on the blog

Old 02-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Good info!!

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

Old 02-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #15
GiraffeBrew
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This has got me really wanting to get into this!!!!

Old 02-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #16
womencantsail
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Sort of curious as to how quickly these develop, since they're such low gravity to begin with. Of course, a lambic recipe is not high gravity by any means, but if you're using second runnings of a beer like a single, what is the OG for your "sour gallon"?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #17
Almighty
Recipes 

My method did not use 2nd runnings. That was an idea by another poster. What I do is that I take wort from the boil. For some of my beers that I want lacto to be a big contributor then I take the wort out earlier in the boil so that I have very low IBUs (so its like a no boil Berliner). But to be honest most of my beers have just been from an extra gallon of wort that is boiled and cooled with the enitre batch. I make a 6 gal batch and 5 go to my carboy and 1 goes to my experimental gallon with dregs.
So the O.G. of my beers are either close to my preboil gravity or are the same as the rest of the batch.
I assume that the other poster will boil his second runnings down until he reaches the desired gravity.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:14 AM   #18
oregoncurtis
Recipes 

I just brewed a 1.039 Ordinary Bitter. I used the left over wort that wouldn't fit into the carboy to throw some unmashed 2 row and maris otter on and let go in a 1 gal. carboy. It's about a half gallon and I'm thinking of adding left over from my next batch plus some blueberries to try and get some extra sugar in there. So far it has smelled a little band aidy (which some people I asked told me might happen), but has recently gotten a little more spicy. I do think there is too much hop bitterness so that's another reason I'd like to dilute it with more wort and blueberries.

I have yet to throw yeast in to finish out the fermentation, I'll probably throw some in within a week. It's been sitting for 6 days so far and it definitely has some sort of pelicul on top. I'll hopefully post some pictures soon and give updates.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #19
Almighty
Recipes 

So you were trying to get a lactic fermentation going by throwing in the grain. Well, I'm not sure if that will work too well. Most lactobacillus are retarded by much more than a few IBUs. And I would think that your Bitter has over 25 IBUs. You could be lucky a have a lacto strain that is not affected by hop acids.
I would taste your half gallon before sinking anymore money or time. If it does have some sourness but other off-flavors you can boil it to drive off most of those flavors and just add extra water during the boil to make up for what you are boiling off.
Are you going to use bottle dregs for your yeast? I'm interested how this works out for you.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #20
oregoncurtis
Recipes 

Yeah it has 30+ IBU's so maybe lacto won't take, but something sure has! I have tasted it and it's getting more of a funk rather than much sourness. I'm not really putting much money into it so I'll just let it go. As for the yeast I'm going to add some windsor that I used for the bitter to try and use some of the sugars and get some alcohol in there to get rid of some of the undesirable cultures.

Quick Reply