Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Easy Way to Make Sour Beers (1 gal wort + dregs)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #121
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaktopview View Post
yeah, not stainless. just wondering how to keep from testing samples so i have some sour beer in a year or so.
I really like to taste samples. It tells me a lot more than just the hydrometer number. One thing you can do is just add back 5 ozs of fresh wort from the next beer you brew to top it up. It will create a little activity that will help scrub the O2 you introduced when taking the sample, but will not affect the souring. 5 ozs in a gallon (128 ozs) is only 4%.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #122
peaktopview
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

actually this is the first i've heard of topping off after a sample. usually hear about topping off head space as with wine. makes sense though with such a long aging process. still have a long while before i take a reading. my first sour (saison w/jp dregs) is only a month old. sigh, wish i was brewing a year ago. it does smell good though. thanks for the suggestion.

b

Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 AM   #123
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Made two of these today - Belgian dark strong with dregs from riserva, oed kriek, and a flanders. Also an Ipa with a little bit of trappist high gravity and dregs from a fantome strange ghost. Excited!

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #124
dantheman13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBrewer View Post
Made two of these today - Belgian dark strong with dregs from riserva, oed kriek, and a flanders. Also an Ipa with a little bit of trappist high gravity and dregs from a fantome strange ghost. Excited!
Nice, Hokie! I just made some 1 gallon batches with Russian River Consecration dregs, Cascade Brewing, and a combo of the two. I'll post a video on YouTube, and check back here!

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Old 01-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #125
dantheman13

Recipes 

Here is my brewday. I used dregs from a bottle of Russian River Temptation and a bottle of Cascade Brewing Kriek. A third used a mixture of Temptation and Cascade Brewing Sang Royal dregs. We'll see how the extract comes out. I'll post more videos as the beer progresses.

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Old 01-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #126
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Nice Video dantheman.
(One note about the hops, the reason for the aged hops is because you want to be able to use a large amount of hops for the beta acids which inhibit bacteria growth (really only needed during spontaneous fermentation) without adding bitterness. And the alpha acids drop with time so this decreases the amount of bitterness. This is also why traditionally hops used for lambics are already low in alpha acids.)

I haven't used Cascade dregs so I'll be interested in seeing your results.

As for the Russian River Temptation the dregs depend on your bottle's batch number (Check here: Russian River Brewing Co.), but more than likely your active fermentation is from their wine yeast (Rockpile).

Old 01-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #127
dantheman13

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
Nice Video dantheman.
(One note about the hops, the reason for the aged hops is because you want to be able to use a large amount of hops for the beta acids which inhibit bacteria growth (really only needed during spontaneous fermentation) without adding bitterness. And the alpha acids drop with time so this decreases the amount of bitterness. This is also why traditionally hops used for lambics are already low in alpha acids.)

I haven't used Cascade dregs so I'll be interested in seeing your results.

As for the Russian River Temptation the dregs depend on your bottle's batch number (Check here: Russian River Brewing Co.), but more than likely your active fermentation is from their wine yeast (Rockpile).
Thanks, Almighty. I'm glad you have stuck around to offer up your advice and feedback!

I haven't checked on the Cascade only fermentation in a day or so, but if it does not show some action by the end of this weekend, do you think I should toss in another shot of dregs? I happen to have a bottle or two left of Cascade beers. What do you think?

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Old 01-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #128
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'm having the same issue with my BDS with dregs. 3 days and nothing. More dregs, or conventional yeast? My other 5 gals on BDS happens to blowing off plenty of 3787 I could use...

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #129
Almighty
Recipes 

dantheman -
I'm not too familiar with the Cascade dregs and it looks like not too many others are. A few people at BBB have started looking into it, and I've posted to see the progress.
The Burgundian Babble Belt -- Pushing the Homebrew Envelope

I'm just not sure if there is any yeast in the dregs (Brett or Sacc). You may try calling or emailing Cascade Brewing.

If the Cascade dregs don't have yeast then your other 2 bottles won't help. You will need to add some yeast unless you just want a very sour non-alcoholic soda.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #130
Almighty
Recipes 

HokieBrewer-
You have to be more specific what dregs you used in your BDS.

And remember that you should treat the yeast in the dregs as you would yeast for your main batch. I assume your BDS had a pretty high OG so the dregs probably should have had a starter to get them built up.

After 3 days and no activity I would add some Sacc yeast. The 3787 should work very well and then if you have Brett in any of your dregs it will kick in later.

When using dregs you want to make sure that there is some sort of viable yeast in the dregs. That is why I'm recommending people use a small 4-6 oz starter in the bottle if there is a concern about viable yeast or gross underpitching.

Quick Reply