Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Easy Way to Make Sour Beers (1 gal wort + dregs)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 12:06 AM   #101
dantheman13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Anyone have success with dregs form Cascade Brewing Co. sour beers?

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 03:39 AM   #102
Spring_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I find gallon jugs for free at recycling centers. You just have to be quick. :-)

Old 11-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #103
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Dank - Somehow I missed your question.

My blonde was fermented in Primary half on Belgian Ardenes, and the other have on American Ale. I'll put 1 gallon of each into a gallon jug and then I need to decide on which dregs to put on them. I have some Le Prof flemish ale in my cellar, I also have some Jolly Pumpkin. Now that I think about it I have a couple Telegraph beers in my cellar that I've been itching to drink. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Le Prof? is it the Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale? I actually just opened one last week that had been sitting around for over a year. It was pretty good, nothing super special, but had some nice funk. I decided to add the dregs to some of my Belgian Dubbel. And it had some nice pellicle bubbles in a few days. I'll post about is shortly.

Jolly Pumpkin is great and aggressive - if you like their beers you will like the dregs. And you can get a pretty quick turn-around on these beers.

Telegraph - Haven't used them yet. But I have a bottle of Petite Obscura that I will try soon.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #104
Almighty
Recipes 

Waylit -
What type of wort of you pairing with your dregs?
And what combinations have been successful for you?

I like the idea of using wild yeast from fruit. I have tried it also with 50% success. I tried with orange blossoms, but ended up with a phenolic soup that was undrinkable. The other one that was successful was from wild grapes that I picked in East County San Diego. They added just a hint of funk to a Belgian Dubbel I brewed last year. That batch is still aging, but I'll try it soon.

dantheman13 - Here is a good thread over at BBB.
The Burgundian Babble Belt -- Pushing the Homebrew Envelope
In short, no one I can find has experiencewith Cascade dregs, but it looks very possible. I have been meaning to try this soon. If you do try it please give us an update.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #105
nppeders
Recipes 

I segmented out two seperate gallons of my Blonde ale which was in Primary with 1056. I also picked up some bottles for pitching...

1. Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza (biere de garde)
  2. St. Somewhere - Lactio Devina (belgian strong pale)

Nick Pederson aka dank brewer

If you want to check out every beer I've ever made and other stuff check out my Dank Brewing Blog

Old 11-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #106
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2688 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn
Some good ideas here. I've been putting off sours for a long time because of the reasons you mention. Recent trip to Russian River in Cali has me considering getting started. Thanks for the tips.
RRs sours are amazing. Pliny is not the best thing coming out of that brewery by any means.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #107
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Some good ideas here. I've been putting off sours for a long time because of the reasons you mention. Recent trip to Russian River in Cali has me considering getting started. Thanks for the tips.
Same here! I decided to sour half of my christmas ale. And then remembered the bacteria doesn't do well in hoppy beers. I'm at 60ibu or so. What do you think?

Old 11-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #108
Almighty
Recipes 

Dank-
I have heard good things about the Brett strain in St. Somewhere but haven't got to try that one myself. Please post when you have some results.

Double D-
What type of beer is the Christmas Ale? Is this beer hoppy or did bitter to 60 IBUs to balance the sweetness?

The 60 IBUs will deter the lacto from producing acid, but will not effect the Brett. So the beer will probably come out with some funk and very little sourness if any.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #109
nppeders
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
Dank-
I have heard good things about the Brett strain in St. Somewhere but haven't got to try that one myself. Please post when you have some results.

Double D-
What type of beer is the Christmas Ale? Is this beer hoppy or did bitter to 60 IBUs to balance the sweetness?

The 60 IBUs will deter the lacto from producing acid, but will not effect the Brett. So the beer will probably come out with some funk and very little sourness if any.
I emailed Bob from St. Somewhere about culturing from their bottle. He said that it might be tough as they bottle with champagne yeast. I'm gonna try anyways though! I'll keep the temp as low as possible in order to inhibit the champagne yeast as much as possible. He did say that if anyone comes by the brewery, he'd be happy to pull some yeast from any of their fermenters to take home.
Here's a direct quote from him..
"All our beers are open fermented, which allows some native wild yeast, and Brett. to do their thing along with the house yeast. All our beers develop a Brett. presence from the environment. I try to encourage it to some extent. I want it there, but not overwhelmingly. - Bob Sylvester

Nick Pederson aka dank brewer

If you want to check out every beer I've ever made and other stuff check out my Dank Brewing Blog

Old 11-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #110
Almighty
Recipes 

Dank-
Here is the background I had on St. Somewhere. Bob quotes, "Lectio Divina with a shot of older beer with a more mature Brett. colony."
The Burgundian Babble Belt -- Pushing the Homebrew Envelope

So I guess wait and see what happens

Quick Reply