New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Easy Extract Berliner Weisse Plan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #11
Thunder_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

OK, the 3.5 gallon Brett. b. trois batch is in primary in my equipment room at about 73F ambient. From my reading I understand the Brett. does well in higher temps, but at cooler temperatures you get less horseblanket and more fruit out of it.

The 2.5 gallon grain sour batch is still in the shed which is about 95F. It probably was over 100F in there during the day - I put the pot under a dark towel in the sun so it should be plenty warm. We're getting a cold front coming through tomorrow so outdoor temps will be in the 70s, but the shed makes a good greenhouse and I expect that will stay in the 90s for several more days.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #12
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

I just stumbled across BierMuncher's Berliner Weisse recipe - looks like I am not too far off the rails:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ive-got-bug-118242/

Old 09-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

The Brett batch is cranking away pretty nicely now, less than 24 hrs in.

The grain sour starter is getting a little pukey smelling on me. Smells like hot parmesan cheese mixed with malt. I am leaving for the weekend so I am just going to let everything ride and see how it looks/smells on Sunday. Attached is a photo of the pellicle.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #14
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

I opened up both the Brett. batch and the sour batch today.

The Brett. was down to 1.020. Intensely fruity - fruit punch fruity even. A tiny hint of acetic, but really nice.

The sour didn't smell any worse than last week, a little cheesiness. I gave it a taste and it was clean tasting and lightly sour. Negligible change in gravity.

I pulled 1-gallon from the Brett-only batch to ferment out seperately. I then racked the sour into the remaining Brett. to make a blended 5 gallons. There was no activity in the separate ferments, but when I blended them the airlock started blowing like I had mixed Mentos and Coke - crazy amount of activity. I'm not sure what caused it, but it was roaring literally 30 seconds after I put the lid back on, and it still is going at the same rate now two hours later. It's like the lacto and the Brett. are having a brawl.

I'll let it go for several weeks before I check in on it again. The little bit of cheezy funk makes me a little worried that blending them might be a bad idea, but from my reading I hear that's not unusual, so I went ahead and did it. We'll see how it goes.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:25 AM   #15
TexasBrew88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm excited to see how this turns out. Welcome to getting bitten by the sour bugs (I am a terrible person for that one)!

Also, gotta love the fruity esters with Berliner Weisse! I've got one conditioning with some 1968, even if the Germans hate me for it.

He was a wise man who invented beer.
-Plato

I drink and I brew. I would have conquered, but I drank and brewed first.

Thunder_Chicken Likes This 
Old 09-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #16
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

The 1-gallon Brett-only is just starting to krausen. It is a pretty slow yeast all by itself. The fruit smells coming out of the airlock are amazing. It's hard to believe that is all the yeast's doing, but it's just unhopped wheat malt wort. I'm definitely going to repitch on this Brett when it has run it's course.

The Brett-sour mix is pretty quiet now. I'm not going to look. I doubt I'll see anything reassuring at this stage. I think I am just going to forget it and hopefully next year I'll trip across it and find that it is a wonderful Berliner weisse. Until then...

Old 10-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #17
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Hmmm...the Brett/sour seems to have stalled out at 1.012 (same reading on 1 October and today). If it were a Sacc. ale I'd bottle, but I know Brett should be able to chew this down to dry.

There is no pellicle and the beer is clearing. The taste is tangier then I remember from last time, less acetic and more lemony. No cheesiness anymore.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #18
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

My 1 gallon all-Brett B. trois seems to be stone-cold dead. Still reading 1.012 for over a month at 80F, despite regularly rousing the yeast up. Nothing happening at all. It is VERY fruity.

My Brett/sour batch is similarly dormant. It might be down a point or two over the last month, depending on how I read the hydrometer. It is also very fruity, but also is getting quite lemony sour.

In retrospect I think I severely underpitched the Brett. I foolishly read the directions on the vial which said "sufficient for 5 gallons of beer". Apparently the rest of the world knows to make a starter with liquid yeast, but I didn't.

What do you think? Should I let it ride, or is a repitch in order?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #19
TexasBrew88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Let it ride for a bit. I like my sours to take their time. That being said, I do prefer mixed fermentation because of the symbiotic nature of the bugs. Brett alone usually gets it pretty dry, but I find it plays better with others than by itself.

He was a wise man who invented beer.
-Plato

I drink and I brew. I would have conquered, but I drank and brewed first.

Quick Reply