Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > East Coast Yeast 03 Farmhouse Brett

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #31
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2196 Times on 1489 Posts
Likes Given: 2224

Instead of starting another thread, I'm bringing this back.

Any notes on how your ECY03 beers have aged?

Anyone still using the same rinsed culture of ECY03?

I've done 4 beers with it so far and the latest went from 1.064 to 1.004 in 7 days, with about 10% sugar. The yeast was 1st or maybe 2nd generation rinse when I got it.

Consensus is that brett in the primary as the sole yeast doesn't generate the 'funk' associated with brett secondaries or brett bottle conditioning. I'm suggesting that it's possible the brett in this blend isn't neccessarily for funkiness, but for the attenuation. Or of course, I've ended up with very little brett left and a super attenuative and not very flocculant sacc strain.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #32
Sebas83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How long have you conditioned this beer?

Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #33
TNGabe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebas83
How long have you conditioned this beer?
Only a month and its got new school hops out the wazoo. That's why I was hoping some other folks who have had bottles longer could chime in.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #34
Sebas83
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A month won't give you much funk. Much fruit, a little leathery maybe. Give it six months and you'll see more funk. If you fermed warm (80+), the Brett will chew on those esters and give the funk a bit more presence.

Keep us posted!

Old 12-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #35
TNGabe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebas83 View Post
A month won't give you much funk. Much fruit, a little leathery maybe. Give it six months and you'll see more funk. If you fermed warm (80+), the Brett will chew on those esters and give the funk a bit more presence.

Keep us posted!
Have you used this blend? The description is 'Produces a fruity and funky profile with some acidity gradually increasing over time.'

Doesn't lead me to think it will get much funk, ever. I did pick up on the acidity in the small saison I bottled this week. Really kicked up the the berry aroma of the hops. Beer was @ 1.000 when I bottled, and I capped 4 750s, hopefully I'll still have one in a year. The rest are in flip tops and won't see March.

The previous batch, with new school hops, has quite a few corked bottles, so hopefully I'll get to taste the fruit shift into sour/funk.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #36
Sebas83
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I haven't used the specific blend but I've used both the yeast and brett used to make this blend. Both are extremely high quality and unique. They LOVE warmth and time.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #37
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I had drank some of my saison with ECY03 that was made well over a year ago. The acidity doesn't come off as acidity to me but just dryness. The brett flavor is more of a musty flavor rather than a horsey flavor like the orval strain. As someone said in here I think the brett is more there for attenuation. I kept it pretty alive but I've gotten a little bored with the blend and decided to develop my own saison blend. The first fermentation is showing real promise.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #38
TNGabe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
I had drank some of my saison with ECY03 that was made well over a year ago. The acidity doesn't come off as acidity to me but just dryness. The brett flavor is more of a musty flavor rather than a horsey flavor like the orval strain. As someone said in here I think the brett is more there for attenuation. I kept it pretty alive but I've gotten a little bored with the blend and decided to develop my own saison blend. The first fermentation is showing real promise.
Thanks, good to know. I definitely got acidity from this strain combined with Belma.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #39
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I may have to brew with this again once I get the current saison bottled. That should be soon I hope. Then I will brew the same recipe with ECY03 to have a decent comparison. Of course I will have to add my hop tolerant lacto strain to be fair. That will be slot of bottled saison for me to drink this year if I get time to brew the recipe again within a month. The most recent batch will be close to 12 gal in the bottles.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #40
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 88

After making the mistake of giving away all of my slurry of ECY03 from last year I just built up a culture from a bottle of my Saison during the BBB Funk swap.

Shaun and Dan from Hill Farmstead has some nice comments about the beer, thought I might have either under pitched or under aerated a little bit but overall thought it was a nice beer albeit slight one dimensional. 75 pils/20 wheat/5 munich, bitted with Magnum and late hopped with Citra.

One thing everyone noted was that the beer had a fuller body then expected, especially with a 1.003 FG. Something that I had always noticed but thought it was just me, Dan mentioned there may be a strain in the blend that produces some glycerol to help in a more full body. A little over my head but there is that.

Anyway, I built up a culture from the dregs of my beer and plan to re-use it soon. I may co pitch the slurry with a 4th generation pitch of ECY08, or I might pitch it alone.

Is this out again? I think it usually comes out sometime between now and mid spring.

Blog:
http://riverwards.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ecoff

Quick Reply