Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > East Coast Yeast 03 Farmhouse Brett

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default East Coast Yeast 03 Farmhouse Brett

Well I was fortunate enough to swing by Trenton Homebrew on my way home from a wedding. I picked up some of this strain and it's going into a rye saison that I brewed up today.

Anyone else have experience with this yeast?

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I wanted to get it, but ended up with his Saison Brasserie plus Brett Blend #1 in my rye saison. Interested to hear how it turns out.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
smokinghole

Recipes 

Well the starter went absolutely nuts last night. I don't even think I needed one even for 8/9 gal of 1.052 wort based on how dense his culture was.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've used it twice! It's great! Though I think, ( as with the best of Saison strains), it does take time for the flavors to develop. The last batch I made was mainly just pils, though a bit of wheat and a smidge of munich were also in the mix. I aged in for a total of about 2 months then gave it about a month and a half'ish on 2oz's of hungarian med toast oak cubes. I bottled it in 750ml and 350ml bottles and corked it. So far, they've been in the bottle for about a month. I cracked on open this past saturday and it was great. Big 3' white rocky head that went down about a 1/4 inch and more or less stayed there the whole time, and definite lacing. The smell is very interesting,.... there's a faint wiff of some sort of a fruity, almost coriander'ish character, ( i'm guessing this is the brett?), a faint whiff of funk, some definite oaky notes, and a nice yeasty aroma I'd expect from a good saison. The first pour was golden and sediment free. It was good but I think the oak needs a little time to settle down, tasted a bit more like a golden strong ale to me than a saison. However, what I noted was that on the second pour when the sediment got stirred up, thaaaaaaaaat's where the saison flavor was hiding out. So good. That sort of odd, punch of spicy sour grapefruit came shining through. The only thing I'd do different next time was not use the 6%AA Spalt hops I had for the bittering addition, something just wasn't right in regards to them, though I'd think they should be fine. Definitely going to stick to Saaz, Tettnang or EKG's from here on.

Can't wait to pick up some more of this stuff.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

ummmm, that was supposed to say 3" rocky head, not 3'!!!

Old 06-29-2011, 01:42 AM   #6
smokinghole

Recipes 

I used Styrian Goldings and Strisslespalt hops in this brew. Everything smelled great going in and the fermentation smells fantastic. It went pretty fast to high krausen and then dropped back down by morning. There's an airlock on the fermentor now with some decent activity still. I think the highest the temp got was 75ish but possibly up to 80 during high krausen. I didn't get a temp reading at the highest activity because I was sleeping. The water bath temp was 73.5 when I checked Tuesday morning.

I mashed this at 147 for a while but then did a dextrinization step at 158. That should give the brett something to work slowly on for a few weeks till I'm happy with the gravity. I will also be bottling in lots of corked bottles but also in ceramic topped brown grolsch bottles.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
smokinghole

Recipes 

Just stole a large pipette sample of the saison. It has a spicy banana scent and smells a lot of yeast. The taste is on the dry spicy dry side thanks to the rye malt. It very much reminds me of a fresh witbier at this point. It should finish out and condition quite nice. There is also a slight juicy fruit type flavor which is quite enjoyable. I can't wait to get this in bottles.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
WolvinMaine
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bottled up a beer made with this strain a few weeks ago. It was in primary for about 1 month, before I bottled it. Went from 1.064 to 1.005 in under 2 weeks. The brett was pretty mellow at first, the the longer it sits in the bottles, the more it comes out. I got plenty of the tropical fruit going on, but there is definitely some funk creeping out in the back. I am very curious to see how this ages. I gave some yeast too some other guys in my club, so I am eager to hear what they have to say. I am thinking of using the heat of July/august to my advantage, and making another saison, perhaps a dark one, for the holidays.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
smokinghole

Recipes 

Well it's been a month and a half since brewday and my rye saison is down to 1.004. I may bottle within a week. The brett may keep going a bit further but I am bottling in heavy bottles so I'm not too terribly concerned if a get a little extra fermentation from the brett which I will figure for. I will bottle for 2.5 volumes with sugar expecting at least 1 volume from continued fermentation. This method has been working for me very well.

Next up the exact same hops and base recipe with the rye swapped out for some spelt.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

rye saison... mmmm... love this board. what temp did you mash in at? i'm assuming pretty low.

Quick Reply