The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Double Flanders?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #21
JoeLindley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
So you haven't seen any activity since pitching 4 days ago? No bubbling or positive pressure in the airlock?

You do want the Sacc yeast in both of the blends to ferment the bulk of the sugars, mostly to drive up the alcohol and kill off more of the bad tasting bacteria that could have made it into your beer. More than likely you are fine, but if you didn't see any activity for that high of a starting gravity you might want to add more Sacc yeast. Anything will work, I prefer a fruitier Belgian strain, but if you have some on hand I'd pitch that.
You are right, everything was ok. I finally got some dry yeast and was ready to pitch it, but there was no need. I moved it to a glass carboy and there was good yeast growth, with a cake at the bottom. Just one of those cases where no activity in the air lock, must have been a small leak somewhere in the seal. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #22
pohldogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

On two occasions I've taken sours to 11% and 30+ ibus by pitching active starters of JP dregs. Their bacteria seem to be very aggressive as well as alcohol and hop tolerant.

Don't know how free they are with sharing info, but maybe shoot a note over to Upland. Gilgamesh is their double red and is soured well.

Quick Reply