I decided to try to collect some wild yeast with a DME starter. It's been out for about a week or so now and this has formed:
Should I toss it or just let it keep doing it's thing for a while? It's kind of scary looking....
Judging from the color and the way it sits on the surface I'd say thats not a good yeast. Its probably a great mold. Not something you should probably brew with.
Throw that out!
That is a true mold. that is the bad of bad.
I would try again after your area dries out
It doesnt look that bad to me, it could be an oxidative yeast, brett will form a pellicle like that, as will pedio, add a bit of sacch let it ferment out if it already hasnt and taste it
in any case the green stuff is most likely mold. that other stuff in between the mold-islands looks like another kind of infection not yeast.
yah, didnt notice any green stuff, Im color blind
green is most likely bad stuff
I dumped it. I'll try again with whatever's left from my mash tun tomorrow.