Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Does this starter look right?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #11
godofcheese
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone. Going to run with it this weekend then.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 03:02 AM   #12
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
I have a hard time with Wyeasts advice to you, 1st pedio in a BW?? not unless you want a butter bomb, and without brett to clean it up thats what you would get

also, lacto after 2weeks fermenting with ale yeast? whats left for the lacto to eat? I and other people havent got much or any sourness unless you pitch a huge quantity of lacto or let it go for a long time before pitching yeast

I know wyeast is in the business of brewing cultures, but you think their advice would match what homebrewers are seeing/doing, theres just too much evidence out there from others beers to think that this approach would work consistently
I've made a few BW over 10 years of brewing and have followed this same yeast pitching schedule with no bad tastes; no butter bomb, only a good, sour beer. the brewers yeast will not ferment all sugars; lacto will still break down some residual sugars that the brewers yeast cannot. To be honest, I have never made a BW with pitching bacteria first, then yeast afterwards.

Why would Wyeast sell bacteria if they are not in the business to help homebrewers? I think they know more about what homebrewers are doing that what you think.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 AM   #13
Jaymo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks like the pellicles on all my brett beers during the early months of fermentation. Some of those have also had lacto, some have been all-brett, or a mix of bretts & bacteria.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #14
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer View Post
Why would Wyeast sell bacteria if they are not in the business to help homebrewers? I think they know more about what homebrewers are doing that what you think.
I know they are in business to help homebrewers, but at the same time their advice to add pedio to a Bweiss is absurd, pedio will produce copious amounts of diacetyl aka butter flavor, that unless there is brett around to eat will be left in the beer

also, pitching lacto late in the game, especially their notoriously wimpy lacto strains where really any IBU's approaching 5 or small amounts of alcohol will knock them out is odd to me, if you look around at just about every homebrew board it will be suggested to either pitch a huge lacto starter at the same time as the sacch or let the lacto get a foothold prior to adding the sacch

Ive never even come across someone suggesting to add lacto 2wks into primary for a bweiss, and Ive brewed quite a few Bweiss's - now Im not trying to be a dick in all this, and sometimes it can be hard to not sound like one when posting, but Im just having a hard time with their advice to you, given all the evidence out there against it and my own personal experience

Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 AM   #15
Jaymo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I second Ryane's advice. It is on par with my experiences as well.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #16
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I'll take that advice, but haven't seen it happen with my beers, though. I haven't used White labs bacteria strains yet to compare. I'm not being a dick either and not taking your post that way either, but that is what i've seen; i'm always open to others and their ideas too. Also, i haven't made a starter with lacto/pedio to get a huge amount up; i'll have to try that. I've used pedio (and lacto) for a lambic and was happy with the results.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:22 AM   #17
yellowthere
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymo View Post
I second Ryane's advice. It is on par with my experiences as well.
I have had similar experiences too.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #18
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
I know they are in business to help homebrewers, but at the same time their advice to add pedio to a Bweiss is absurd, pedio will produce copious amounts of diacetyl aka butter flavor, that unless there is brett around to eat will be left in the beer

also, pitching lacto late in the game, especially their notoriously wimpy lacto strains where really any IBU's approaching 5 or small amounts of alcohol will knock them out is odd to me, if you look around at just about every homebrew board it will be suggested to either pitch a huge lacto starter at the same time as the sacch or let the lacto get a foothold prior to adding the sacch

Ive never even come across someone suggesting to add lacto 2wks into primary for a bweiss, and Ive brewed quite a few Bweiss's - now Im not trying to be a dick in all this, and sometimes it can be hard to not sound like one when posting, but Im just having a hard time with their advice to you, given all the evidence out there against it and my own personal experience
"trying to be a dick in all this, and sometimes it can be hard"

Last edited by King of Cascade; 04-06-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #19
godofcheese
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, just as an update. The lacto is kicking right along in there. Been in there about a month and a half. (you can see the hop sediment up in the neck of the fermenter) Lacto made a very nice little sheet of funk on there. I will let it sit another month or two before I taste it.

img_0627.jpg  

Quick Reply