Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Does this starter look right?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #11
godofcheese
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bryan, TX
Posts: 183
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Thanks everyone. Going to run with it this weekend then.

__________________
godofcheese is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 03:02 AM   #12
avidhomebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,552
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
I have a hard time with Wyeasts advice to you, 1st pedio in a BW?? not unless you want a butter bomb, and without brett to clean it up thats what you would get

also, lacto after 2weeks fermenting with ale yeast? whats left for the lacto to eat? I and other people havent got much or any sourness unless you pitch a huge quantity of lacto or let it go for a long time before pitching yeast

I know wyeast is in the business of brewing cultures, but you think their advice would match what homebrewers are seeing/doing, theres just too much evidence out there from others beers to think that this approach would work consistently
I've made a few BW over 10 years of brewing and have followed this same yeast pitching schedule with no bad tastes; no butter bomb, only a good, sour beer. the brewers yeast will not ferment all sugars; lacto will still break down some residual sugars that the brewers yeast cannot. To be honest, I have never made a BW with pitching bacteria first, then yeast afterwards.

Why would Wyeast sell bacteria if they are not in the business to help homebrewers? I think they know more about what homebrewers are doing that what you think.
__________________
avidhomebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 AM   #13
Jaymo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 148
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Looks like the pellicles on all my brett beers during the early months of fermentation. Some of those have also had lacto, some have been all-brett, or a mix of bretts & bacteria.

__________________
Jaymo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #14
ryane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 780
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer View Post
Why would Wyeast sell bacteria if they are not in the business to help homebrewers? I think they know more about what homebrewers are doing that what you think.
I know they are in business to help homebrewers, but at the same time their advice to add pedio to a Bweiss is absurd, pedio will produce copious amounts of diacetyl aka butter flavor, that unless there is brett around to eat will be left in the beer

also, pitching lacto late in the game, especially their notoriously wimpy lacto strains where really any IBU's approaching 5 or small amounts of alcohol will knock them out is odd to me, if you look around at just about every homebrew board it will be suggested to either pitch a huge lacto starter at the same time as the sacch or let the lacto get a foothold prior to adding the sacch

Ive never even come across someone suggesting to add lacto 2wks into primary for a bweiss, and Ive brewed quite a few Bweiss's - now Im not trying to be a dick in all this, and sometimes it can be hard to not sound like one when posting, but Im just having a hard time with their advice to you, given all the evidence out there against it and my own personal experience
__________________
ryane is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 AM   #15
Jaymo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 148
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I second Ryane's advice. It is on par with my experiences as well.

__________________
Jaymo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #16
avidhomebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,552
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Default

I'll take that advice, but haven't seen it happen with my beers, though. I haven't used White labs bacteria strains yet to compare. I'm not being a dick either and not taking your post that way either, but that is what i've seen; i'm always open to others and their ideas too. Also, i haven't made a starter with lacto/pedio to get a huge amount up; i'll have to try that. I've used pedio (and lacto) for a lambic and was happy with the results.

__________________
avidhomebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 02:22 AM   #17
yellowthere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 138
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymo View Post
I second Ryane's advice. It is on par with my experiences as well.
I have had similar experiences too.
__________________
yellowthere is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #18
King of Cascade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 663
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
I know they are in business to help homebrewers, but at the same time their advice to add pedio to a Bweiss is absurd, pedio will produce copious amounts of diacetyl aka butter flavor, that unless there is brett around to eat will be left in the beer

also, pitching lacto late in the game, especially their notoriously wimpy lacto strains where really any IBU's approaching 5 or small amounts of alcohol will knock them out is odd to me, if you look around at just about every homebrew board it will be suggested to either pitch a huge lacto starter at the same time as the sacch or let the lacto get a foothold prior to adding the sacch

Ive never even come across someone suggesting to add lacto 2wks into primary for a bweiss, and Ive brewed quite a few Bweiss's - now Im not trying to be a dick in all this, and sometimes it can be hard to not sound like one when posting, but Im just having a hard time with their advice to you, given all the evidence out there against it and my own personal experience
"trying to be a dick in all this, and sometimes it can be hard"
__________________

Last edited by King of Cascade; 04-06-2010 at 12:45 AM.
King of Cascade is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #19
godofcheese
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bryan, TX
Posts: 183
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Well, just as an update. The lacto is kicking right along in there. Been in there about a month and a half. (you can see the hop sediment up in the neck of the fermenter) Lacto made a very nice little sheet of funk on there. I will let it sit another month or two before I taste it.

img_0627.jpg  
__________________
godofcheese is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lager starter...which temp to pitch starter? Q2XL Fermentation & Yeast 3 12-21-2009 03:34 PM
Poor yeast starter OR no yeast starter? amh0001 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 11-26-2009 11:40 AM
Brett starter or no starter squeekysheep General Techniques 4 07-31-2009 02:54 AM
Starter Question / Will 1/2 gal of starter do two batches? JKHomebrew General Beer Discussion 4 01-28-2009 12:39 PM
Starter? We don't need no stinkin' starter! Hopsnort General Techniques 11 02-13-2006 07:14 AM