Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Does this starter look right?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
godofcheese
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Does this starter look right?

So, I made a starter for my lacto last week. I plan on brewing a Berlinder Weiss this upcoming weekend. Figured about 2 weeks would be good to grow up a large batch to pitch. Has been held around 80 degrees so far. No real change other then there is a good bit of stuff falling out of suspension. Suddenly this morning there was a nice bit of growth. By lunch it had grown even more. Is this lacto growing, or a nice bit of contamination?

img_0585.jpg   img_0584.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

is it just me or does that look PhotoShoped. it does look weird to me maybe its just karusen.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Looks like other pellicles I've seen in pictures. I've not done a sour beer at this point, but that looks right. Honestly, I didn't really know you needed to do a starter for the lacto culture, but, what do I know!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-02-2010, 01:30 AM   #4
godofcheese
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

LOL, not photoshopped. Just my iphone camera.

I am making a starter to make sure I pitch more lactobacillus then yeast. I don't know if it is nesaccary or not, but I make a starter for everything else, why not this?

My wife the microbiologist questioned my sanitization skills. Said I should have just taken my stuff up to her work and let her autoclave it. I hope she isn't right . . .

Old 03-02-2010, 02:59 AM   #5
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I've made a few BW's over the years and never bothered with a starter, seeing as the yeast is sitting on the beer for a while anyways. I emailed Wyeast about this before my first batch and they suggested to use the following:

ferment with Wyeast 1007 for about 2 weeks in primary and then rack to secondary adding either pediococcus or lactobacillus (used both already, with good results). No starter for the bacteria.

Good luck with yours and let it age in the bottle for about 4-5 months, maybe 6. I've found that the longer I let it go in the bottle, the less sour it is. After about 9 months, it is still sour, but nearly as much at around 6 months.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

definitely lacto! it looks like every batch i've ever done that had lacto in it. i would take advantage of your wifes career and the equipment she has available to her!! that'd be a nice way to get her involved in your hobby taboot. unless you don't want her involved in your hobby, heheh.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
godofcheese
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessup View Post
definitely lacto! it looks like every batch i've ever done that had lacto in it. i would take advantage of your wifes career and the equipment she has available to her!! that'd be a nice way to get her involved in your hobby taboot. unless you don't want her involved in your hobby, heheh.
Yea!

I ask her a good bit of questions about different things, but I don't dare take any of my homebrew equipment up to her lab. I have seen the things growing there. And the smells . . . OMG the smells! She runs the student labs for a university and has all kinds of stuff in there that would do much worse then infect a beer. Heck, her old lab had a ton of ecoli and cyanide waste. Was good times.

She recently told me a stir plate is not what I want for starters, I need a shaker. Would get a higher concentration of cells as it is less violent.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It looks to me like your starter is infected...

Also, as an aside, thanks for posting these pictures and reminding me to be less stupid. I was trying to figure out what to put the starter for my next beer in since my gallon jug is full. I completely forgot about 2 liter bottles, which I have plenty of. Good luck with the beer!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer View Post
I emailed Wyeast about this before my first batch and they suggested to use the following:

ferment with Wyeast 1007 for about 2 weeks in primary and then rack to secondary adding either pediococcus or lactobacillus (used both already, with good results). No starter for the bacteria.
I have a hard time with Wyeasts advice to you, 1st pedio in a BW?? not unless you want a butter bomb, and without brett to clean it up thats what you would get

also, lacto after 2weeks fermenting with ale yeast? whats left for the lacto to eat? I and other people havent got much or any sourness unless you pitch a huge quantity of lacto or let it go for a long time before pitching yeast

I know wyeast is in the business of brewing cultures, but you think their advice would match what homebrewers are seeing/doing, theres just too much evidence out there from others beers to think that this approach would work consistently

Old 03-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
JacobS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks very similar to what has accumulated on the top of my most recent attempt at a sour beer. albeit you have larger bubbles but I would assume that is from higher fermentability in that mine is in its tertiary phase.

Quick Reply