New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Do Sour's Contaminate Up Your Co2 Hoses?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #31
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 181

UPDATE, My wife did some research and came up with, hydrogen peroxided will kill lactobacillus, (always good to have a second set of eyes looking)

The recommended mix was, 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water, soak items in that mix for 36 hours.

We tried it and it worked great even on hoses and rubber bungs.

Just thought I should share this info.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost! WileECoyote

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar! WileECoyote

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #32
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
UPDATE, My wife did some research and came up with, hydrogen peroxided will kill lactobacillus, (always good to have a second set of eyes looking)

The recommended mix was, 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water, soak items in that mix for 36 hours.

We tried it and it worked great even on hoses and rubber bungs.

Just thought I should share this info.

Cheers
Makes sense. Most things kill lacto, and peroxide kills most things.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 05-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #33
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
Makes sense. Most things kill lacto, and peroxide kills most things.
Hello dwarven_stout, Im Not trying to contradict you or start an argument, but from my personal experience and research most things don't kill lacto.

in-fact we tried all kinds of things to kill this lacto infection, even a bleach bombing at a 50/50 ratio, it didn't work, nothing we tried worked.

Hydrogen peroxide works great at killing this infection, and is the only thing that killed this bug.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar! WileECoyote

Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #34
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Hello dwarven_stout, Im Not trying to contradict you or start an argument, but from my personal experience and research most things don't kill lacto.

in-fact we tried all kinds of things to kill this lacto infection, even a bleach bombing at a 50/50 ratio, it didn't work, nothing we tried worked.

Hydrogen peroxide works great at killing this infection, and is the only thing that killed this bug.

Cheers
i'm surprised that you were not able to kill off a lactobacillius with bleach, it's not known to be immune to bleach or star san for that matter.
interestingly, some lactobacilli have a very high tolerance for hydrogen peroxide.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #35
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
i'm surprised that you were not able to kill off a lactobacillius with bleach, it's not known to be immune to bleach or star san for that matter.
interestingly, some lactobacilli have a very high tolerance for hydrogen peroxide.
This was a wild infection, I didn't have lab tested, so there is a possibility it could be something other than lacto.

I guess the "some lactobacilli" having a very high tolerance is why you have to soak items in the hydrogen peroxide for 36 hours to 48 hours to kill it off.

All I know is that hydrogen peroxided at a 50/50 mix (or stronger) worked for me, and nothing else worked.

and StarSan didn't even faze this bug, not in the least.

I was also able to reuse my plastics using this method, instead of throw them away, 6+ batches done now with these plastics and all is good.

I am sharing this information, to help others with an infection that seems to be immune to the common methods of dealing with infections.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Old 10-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #36
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Update, I am around 25 batches down the road from this infection now and am still using some of the items that we soaked in Hydrogen Peroxide, still no problems, knock on wood.

My hope here is that this information will help give brewers suffering with a persistent infection another means to battle it.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Quick Reply