Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Do Sour's Contaminate Up Your Co2 Hoses?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Based on my own experience, and that of a few of the guys in my homebrew club, I don't think the gas lines are a true concern.

I had a sour on tap from roughly last March or April through the beginning of this January. I also have three other tap lines, with various beers throughout that timeframe. During that timespan, the bug from the sour never travelled back up the CO2 hose, through my 4 way distributor, and back down to any of the other kegs. Also, since the sour kicked, I very thoroughly cleaned the beer lines and the faucet and I've been serving a non-sour beer on that tap ever since, with absolutely no sign of passing the bug from the previous sour beer onto the current beer.

I've got several guys in my club who are sour afficionados (admittedly, this was my first, and probably only one) who do this all the time. While yes, the bugs could survive in the absense of oxygen, so long as you're not goofing up and backing up beer into your gas line, there's no actual food source there for the bugs - they're not going to go where there's no food source. They'll stay in the beer where they're happy and fed. Clean and sanitize your beer line, disconnect, and faucet and you'll be fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
Based on my own experience, and that of a few of the guys in my homebrew club, I don't think the gas lines are a true concern.

I had a sour on tap from roughly last March or April through the beginning of this January. I also have three other tap lines, with various beers throughout that timeframe. During that timespan, the bug from the sour never travelled back up the CO2 hose, through my 4 way distributor, and back down to any of the other kegs. Also, since the sour kicked, I very thoroughly cleaned the beer lines and the faucet and I've been serving a non-sour beer on that tap ever since, with absolutely no sign of passing the bug from the previous sour beer onto the current beer.

I've got several guys in my club who are sour afficionados (admittedly, this was my first, and probably only one) who do this all the time. While yes, the bugs could survive in the absense of oxygen, so long as you're not goofing up and backing up beer into your gas line, there's no actual food source there for the bugs - they're not going to go where there's no food source. They'll stay in the beer where they're happy and fed. Clean and sanitize your beer line, disconnect, and faucet and you'll be fine.
Thank You stratslinger, Im also thinking/guessing that the bug I have is a contact to transfer type of bug and isn't airborne, since I have other fermenters that were in the same room and don't seem to be affected.

So, that would lead me to believe that like you said the Co2 lines should be ok as long as I didn't back up any beer out of that keg, on that note, I will be replacing the one Co2 hose and keg coupler just to be safe.

As far as cleaning and sanitizing the beer hose on that tap, I really don't it will work on this bug, as even a severe 1 hour bleach bombing with an extreme amount of bleach then a 1/2hr StarSan soaking did nothing to this bug when I tried to drive it out of my plastics the last time.

Thanks and Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
pure co2 environment... not with oxygen, and sugar for yeast to consume. the next time I fill up my co2 tank I will be sure to clean it with starsan first.
Hello BradleyBrew, just an FYI, the StarSan did nothing to the bug (on Plastics) when I was trying to get rid of it the last time I encountered it, even a severe 1 hour bleach bombing with an extreme amount of bleach then a 1/2 hr StarSan soaking didn't even slow it down in the plastics, however the bleach bomb/StarSan combo did kill it off of any metal and glass brewing equipment.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 02-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I don't know what I was thinking. Odds of the bacteria going backwards into your kegs are slim but you are likely inoculating your pours which obviously doesn't matter.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 AM   #15
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
I play around with sours and do not have dedicated equipment, and have yet to cross contaminate (maybe I'm just lucky).
i have had the same experience with sour / clean beer, i brew both and have them on tap side by side all the time. none of my equipment is dedicated to sour only brewing, it's all used for whatever i'm doing at the time. on the homebrew level it should be pretty easy to clean and sanitize to avoid cross contamination.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:17 AM   #16
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2159 Times on 1460 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

I brew several times a week, about half sacc only, half mixed culture. All shared equipment including hoses. i soak in Oxyclean and then star San and no problems. There is no way for a yeast or bacteria to move on its own, much less against the pressure of the co2.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

People Like This 
Old 02-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #17
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe
I brew several times a week, about half sacc only, half mixed culture. All shared equipment including hoses. i soak in Oxyclean and then star San and no problems. There is no way for a yeast or bacteria to move on its own, much less against the pressure of the co2.
The pressure of co2 means nothing. Otherwise, I agree that a good oxyclean + starsan regime is enough to contain most bugs. I share most equipment between wilds and clean beers without issue.

I would suggest to the OP to look elsewhere in the process for potential sources of contamination. I'm particularly interested to know what you (OP) mean by "ice bath" that you're using a colander for.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 02-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #18
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2159 Times on 1460 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout

The pressure of co2 means nothing.
Doesn't that make the gas line a 'one-way street'?

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #19
Chipman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Won't the cooler temps for serving beer inhibit the growth of the bugs? Also if it did contaminate each glass as poured they don't stay around long enough to notice.

If it really is an issue, you could always bottle bug-beers instead of keg 'em.

Cooking with beer? Been doing it for years.
Add it to the food? I'll have to try it sometime.

He who has tasted sailing will walk the earth with his head turned into the wind.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #20
latium
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Doesn't that make the gas line a 'one-way street'?
Once the pressure equalizes, a few seconds after you connect the line and adjust the pressure, there's no relative pressure in the line.

Quick Reply