New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Do Sour's Contaminate Up Your Co2 Hoses?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Default Do Sour's Contaminate Up Your Co2 Hoses?

Hello, I know that when you brew sour's you are suppose to dedicate the equipment used, but what about your kegging equipment ? such as the hoses, balllock connectors, patty taps? Im guessing that they should be dedicated too.

And the big question for me is what about the ball lock connector for the Co2 side, the Co2 hose and the Co2 manifold, even the Co2 tank, did I just crap up all of my kegging equipment?

I have a very very sour beer/infection that I thought I got rid of, and its back, now in one of my keg's in a 3 tap tower with a 3 valve manifold.

People that know and have experience, HELP Please! Others that are just guessing please don't bother replying, Im not trying to be rude, just dont want or need the confusion.

If I need to Isolate this and throw everything plastic away just like last time, its not a problem, I will jump right on it.

But what about the Co2 side?, is it crapped up?

Help and thanks

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost! WileECoyote

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar! WileECoyote

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Anyone else experienced this dilemma ?

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar! WileECoyote

Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'm not sure but I dont think anything would grow or survive without oxygen? I use sulphur in my oak barrel when its not in use to prevent anything from growing. I play around with sours and do not have dedicated equipment, and have yet to cross contaminate (maybe I'm just lucky). It seems like I've been reading more and more about keg contamination on this site. I'm confused how this could happen as most beer is stored under 40 degrees which would prohibit the vast majority of bacterial growth. Are you sure its not happening somewhere else before the beer gets into your kegging system?

Old 02-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
I'm not sure but I dont think anything would grow or survive without oxygen? I use sulphur in my oak barrel when its not in use to prevent anything from growing. I play around with sours and do not have dedicated equipment, and have yet to cross contaminate (maybe I'm just lucky). It seems like I've been reading more and more about keg contamination on this site. I'm confused how this could happen as most beer is stored under 40 degrees which would prohibit the vast majority of bacterial growth. Are you sure its not happening somewhere else before the beer gets into your kegging system?
No offense, but that's terrible advice. Microorganisms survive just fine in CO2. How else do you think we bottle condition our beers? On top of this these microorganisms can be frozen for years and still be viable when roused.

Yes, you run the risk of contaminating other beers with Brett, lactobacillus, etc if you use the same CO2 hose.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Hello, Yes its starting in the fermenter, its not starting in the keg, I transferred to keg after primary fermentation and then put it on Co2 to carb it, without testing it before doing so, My fault.

Now Im concerned about craping up my other brews if I use the same Co2 hose and connector ?

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
BradleyBrew
Recipes 

Yeah, you also have a nice pocket of o2 in every bottle unless you fill the bottle up to the brim.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7 View Post
No offense, but that's terrible advice. Microorganisms survive just fine in CO2. How else do you think we bottle condition our beers? On top of this these microorganisms can be frozen for years and still be viable when roused.

Yes, you run the risk of contaminating other beers with Brett, lactobacillus, etc if you use the same CO2 hose.
Thank You PhelanKA7, I had a heck of a time with this when I screwed up cleaning/sanitizing creating this bug the first time around, bleach bombs didn't even faze it, I thew away everything plastic, fermenters, hoses, air locks, etc, to finally get rid of it.

I made the mistake of keeping a new (contaminated) colander, bleach bombed of corse, guess to many places for bugs to hide, and used it for making cheese, in the pot I use for ice bathing my wort, crapping up my equipment once again, but this time I have kegging equipment involved.

I guess its time to start ordering everything new thats plastic.

Thanks and Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Old 02-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Fermentation is simply metabolism under anaerobic conditions. If that statement was true, we'd all be drinking under-attenuated beer with hardly any alcohol content.
Bottled: RIS ; RIS 2 ; BDSA ; Tripel 3 ; English IPA 1 ; Session IPA 2 ; Saison 9 ; Singel 2 ; Porter 2
Kegged: empty

Old 02-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7 View Post

Question? Can this bug travel back up the Co2 hose into the 3 Way CO2 Distributor and even past that into the regulator, then the tank?

And if so ? then back out to the other two Co2 hoses/kegs ?

If this is the case, Did I just loose a new/complete 3 keg setup including the 20lb tank?

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
BradleyBrew
Recipes 

pure co2 environment... not with oxygen, and sugar for yeast to consume. the next time I fill up my co2 tank I will be sure to clean it with starsan first.

Quick Reply